Bad attitude will affect Canada

We have decided not to join the coalition of the willing, but as Canadians we are very willing to express our opinions about our neighbors to the south who have chosen war as a resolution to end a Middle Eastern country’s dictatorial government. If you want to believe that Bush has acted justly by ignoring the United Nations and its democratic Constitution, then good for you. If you want to believe that the President of the United States is an insecure cowboy who desperately wants to make his father proud, then good for you. If you want to believe that the end of the world is imminent, then good for you. However, there is a greater issue here.

We live in a nation where our reputation has characterized us with adjectives like neutral, peace loving, friendly and diplomatic and to some this is infuriating because we can be as cocky, arrogant, opinionated and bitchy as the next nation. Certain individuals are determined to have this changed with flag burning, national anthem booing or name-calling, but at what cost?

Constructive criticism should be the norm because it is crucial to maintain good relations with the Americans.

Not to say that fully supporting all governmental decisions is necessary. It is our right and duty as free individuals to hold different opinions – look at Michael Moore. But what must be kept in mind are the relationships that can be affected when we let our emotions get the best of us.

Money makes the world go ’round. We’re recognized for our ability to produce natural resources and the U.S. is known for consuming too many of them, but without this regular exchange our economies would not be as balanced as they are today. Americans are our biggest trade partners spending over a billion and a half dollars in Quebec alone therefore to say that we are co-dependant is an understatement.

The current backlash of anti-American invective in hockey arenas, from our politicians and in street protests will inevitably affect long-term attitudes with our southern neighbor. It is a question of maturity when our Liberal MP Carolyn Parrish was overheard saying: “Damn Americans; I hate those bastards.”

It is absurd to implore people to be tactful and use common sense, but this is what it has come to. Hundreds of thousands have been sent to the desert to fight for their lives and experience death, blood, pain, suffering, hate and fear while we’re on the sidelines viewing these images in the morning paper and on the evening news from our lazy boys and we are throwing the word moron around.

In the political game and more generally in the game of life, friends need not constantly agree. Realistically, friends would not slander another’s beliefs because they are not compatible with their own. The act of arguing points with civility is something we take for granted as Canadians; however, the line should be drawn when opinions become humiliating and degrading words. In this fragile time, what is most important is that we as protesters, peace lovers and Canadians can show our complete disapproval of the U.S. Government and its policies, but we must treat all American’s with respect and humility as that is glue that binds our nation together.