CSU Gets New Digs

The sixth and seventh floors at Sir George Williams may have a new look in January and it is all part of the “building for the future” project. In the last ten years the sixth and seventh floors have been used for classrooms, clubs, the CSU and other groups, but as these groups have expanded so has the need for larger and updated space.

Many groups will benefit from the project but it is the CSU that will reap the most benefits. The CSU administrative offices will be saying sayonara to the sixth floor facilities and moving to the seventh floor. Brent Farrington, CSU’s V.P of Student Environment, can’t wait to make the move. “The entire seventh floor will be hollowed out and completely rebuilt,” he said. “Clubs who have offices will also be making the move and clubs who do not have offices will be getting offices.”

While the plan has not been finalized, Farrington sees no obstacles. “We still have to iron out a few details with the Concordia administration.” By that, Farrignton means that the legal details have to be worked out, but the project is as good as said and done. “By mid to late August we should be ready to go.”

The CSU has been pushing for updated office spaces for some time now. The present space on the sixth floor has become confining and the CSU has often complained that it has become difficult to service students.

Right now the CSU is limited to 1,400 square feet. The proposed new location would see the CSU occupying up to 2,000 square feet. “Our offices would be located where the cafeteria hall is presently,” Farrington said. “We will be able to offer a better reception area, a waiting area and offer students a lounge all in one main location.”

Not all CSU offices will be moving. It is not clear which offices will be making the jump up to the seventh floor and which will be staying, or taking over the old facilities, but it is the administrative branch of the CSU that will be moving.

The cafeteria will not be losing space. In fact, a proposal submitted in April 2002 for a multicultural food court, the Concordia Kitchen Mosaic Project, to Vice-Rector Services Michael DiGrappa, will finally see its creation. That project had to wait until the administration decided what it wanted to do with the seventh floor. The CKM would consist of several kiosks: one for students with no dietary restrictions; one serving kosher food; and a third serving halal food.
Moving into the old CSU offices will be the International Student Services, Dean of Student services and the Disabled Student Services. Remaining in place on the sixth floor will be The Link, The student radio, classrooms, and some CSU departments.

The cost for the project will not be clear until the project moves into the estimation phase planned for mid August. But one thing is clear-students will not have to bear the cost. “The project will cost nothing to our students,” Farrington stated. “The university will be providing most of the funding along with other sources.”

0

Concordia Film Production Graduate Wins the National Film Board's Reel Diversity Competition

Spellbinding