Concordia Shufflers break a sweat as they jog their way to the bank

Despite the threat of gloomy weather, close to 500 people showed up to participate in Concordia’s 14th annual Shuffle, a fundraising walk which generated $53,149 for student scholarships, last Friday.

Murray Sang, co-chair of the Shuffle and director of continuing education, said with the funds raised each year, they are “able to generate 22 undergraduate and two graduate scholarships.”

The Shuffle is entirely non-profit. “Every dollar raised goes to student scholarships. It really is a tribute to the spirit of Concordia,” said Sang.

Students from all four faculties benefit from the money raised during the Shuffle.

Mix 96 morning men Ken Connors and Cat Spencer got the crowd of participants pumped in the atrium of the Library Building by handing out prizes and challenging Shufflers to a contest along the route.

The contest involved finding out how many stoplights were along the route, how many mailboxes were on the route, and discovering which store has an actual ham in the window.

The 6.5 km route ran along Sherbrooke St. W. between the Library Building on the Sir George Williams Campus and the Administration Building on the Loyola Campus.

Most of the Shufflers on hand were Concordia staff members, with a smaller number of students and faculty.

Participants from the John Molson school of business displayed stickers that said “Proud to be JMSB” while members of the engineering and computer science sported red pinneys with the faculty name on it.

Dean of engineering and computer science Nabil Esmail was also among the Shufflers.

However, the fundraiser was not limited to those who could run or walk the route.

President of Access Concordia Teri-Lee Walters, a third-year human relations student participated along with friends Melanie Rabette, a third-year anthropology major and Tiffany Ryan, secretary for Students with Disabilities, a graduate student in the department of anthropology.

“I’ve struggled with finances before. I wanted to help out,” said Walters.

But, not all of the Shufflers were of the human kind. Claude-Marie Lafforgue, a systems administrator in electrical and computer engineering brought her dog, Duke. She has been bringing her pets with her to the Shuffle for the last three years. Duke raised $110 in pledges, which did not beat owner Lafforgue’s $150.

Musicians played along the Shuffle route, encouraging the participants.

Police officers and Concordia security were on hand to ensure the smooth outcome of the event. Cars along Sherbrooke St. honked their support for the Shufflers.

Later refreshments were served in the Guadagni Lounge at the Loyola Campus.

“The sun is shining on Concordia,” said Rector Frederick Lowy, thrilled that the rain held off until after the Shuffle.

Prizes from the event’s numerous sponsors were raffled off, including a $1000 travel certificate from Uniglobe Lexus Travel, gift certificates for coffee, books, restaurants and spa prize packages.

The Rector’s Reception outdoors followed the raffle to end the day.

Pledges are being accepted until Oct. 31.