Senate meeting unveils changes at ConU

New changes are in store for Concordia University after the Senate Committee laid out its plans for the school in a meeting last Friday.

“There’s a lot of activity. So, there is reason for both enthusiasm and optimism,” said Dr. Frederick H. Lowy, rector and vice-chancellor of Concordia, about the changes that the school will be experiencing, such as the inaugural of the new science building at Loyola Campus on Sept. 22, 2003.

Quebec Premier Jean Charest is expected to attend.

No longer worried about Concordia’s tarnished reputation from previous years of upheaval on campus, rector Lowy said the Concordia community is growing with a 37 per cent hike in student enrollment alone.

While other Quebec universities are facing dwindling registration, Dr. Lowy said this is the highest he has ever seen.

But, while Concordia prepares for the new science building’s official inauguration, others will see themselves packing for good.

The Lonergan University College, located near the Loyola Campus, will closed its doors because of a lack of interests from students.

“The time for the college has passed,” said Dr. Martin Singer, dean of the faculty of Arts and Science.

The college first opened its doors in the 1970’s where lectures were once popular among faculty and students alike.

Each year, the college has devoted its studies to a great thinker who has shaped civilization, such as the works of Machiavelli, Darwin, Freud and Dante.

But, “students’ interests changed dramatically,” Dr. Singer said. The College was starting to gear “more on the faculty [needs] than on the students.”

Other factors have also contributed to the closing of the college. For example, the building has been taken over by the owner and no other individual is willing to oversee it.

Meanwhile, on the Sir George Williams Campus, there is good news for graduate students.

According to Dr. Elizabeth Sacc