Ska band loves Canada; when they get in

Big D and The Kids Table may hail from Bean Town, Boston but that doesn’t stop them from calling Montreal their home away from home. While they’ve had some trouble getting into the country in the past, they’ve put all those problems behind them and are gearing up to rock Montreal’s socks off this Saturday at the Rainbow Club.

Big D and the Kids Table formed in 1996, and have hit the ground running ever since. They’ve released three albums, a handful of EP’s and have appeared on several international compilations.

Their latest album Gypsy Hill was released by Montreal’s own Stomp Records. A new album is in the works, and while the band is still shopping around for a label to release it, it should be available by spring 2004.

Big D recently partook in the punk rock extravaganza also known as Warped Tour. While they insist the tour was great experience, bassist Steve Foote admits at times they still felt a little alone in the crowd.

“The amazing thing about the Warped Tour is that you have such an amazing opportunity to promote yourself, and if you do it right, you’re going to reach an entire audience that you might have missed otherwise. Anyone can be walking by your stage and check you out. But, because it’s so big, it’s also so easy to get lost in the shuffle.”

The boys from Boston may be Americans by birth, but they certainly do receive a warm homecoming when they return to Montreal.

Foote explains that Montreal, aside from their hometown south of the border, is one of their favourite places to play. “Montreal is awesome. There’s a handful of cities that you know hands-down are amazing shows and fun places to go, and Montreal is one of them.

“It’s nice going there and feeling at home, and the city is a really cool place to hang out. It’s a good feeling going back and knowing you’re going to see all our friends and play an awesome show.”

Big D may have a strong Montreal connection, but that does not mean they always have an easy time getting here.

In the summer of 2001, they were denied entry into Canada, and one member was even banned for five years for attempting to enter the country using fake recording contracts in order to play shows without a costly work permit.

While the band does admit they were in the wrong, and now insist that everything is legit when they come up north, Foote still feels some frustration with the process.

Big D and the Kids Table make their triumphant return to Montreal this Saturday.

While Foote acknowledges that some people may be hesitant to come out to the show if they’re not familiar with the band, he insists if you give them a chance, you won’t be disappointed.

“We put our heart into every show. The energy level is high enough, that even if your not a ska fan, you’ll still enjoy have a good time.”