Ladies making waves in Quebec rankings

It was a see-saw of a weekend for the Concordia women’s basketball team as an 80-58 victory against an irrelevant squad from UQAM, coupled with a loss by Bishop’s, pushed them into second-place in Quebec. But that was just Friday.

The Stingers spent the better part of the first half playing down to the level of the opposition. An inability to get clear shots at the net plagued them for most of the half. Fortunately UQAM wasn’t much better, missing a variety of open shots and lay ups.

The situation became more critical when Captain Pascale Morin was forced to sit down only nine minutes in after collecting two fouls as Coach Keith Pruden decided to save her for the second half.

It would pay off as the rest of the Stingers squad, including assistant Captain M.J. Raposo who finished with a game-high 23 points, eventually showed their dominance by building up a 36-25 lead at halftime.

The Maroon and Gold would put things in cruise control for the second half as Morin would return to finish the game with 17. Concordia also finished with their highest offensive output of the season and their biggest margin of victory as well.

ConU vs. Bishop’s

Saturday’s tilt with Bishop’s, who Concordia beat the previous week, knocked them off their pedestal as they saw their four-game winning streak snapped in a 72-62 loss.

Concordia was unable to contain the efforts of guard France Lanoie, who finished with a game-high 24 points, and forward Josianne Lafreniere who netted four three pointers and 20 points in total.

The loss now has ConU tied with Bishop’s for second-place in Quebec but the Gaiters also have a game in hand. Things won’t get any easier for the Maroon and Gold when they take on the undefeated squad from Laval this Friday. ConU Has already lost twice to Laval this year.