LIC tackles comtemporary global issues

Loyola International College (LIC), an interdisciplinary college at Concordia, will continue to offer a pragmatic approach to learning and examining contemporary global issues when its first minor program is introduced in the fall.

The 24-credit minor in diversity and the contemporary world will offer courses rooted in the arts and sciences which hope to attract current and interested students. The program can be combined with a specialization, honours or major in any other discipline.

“Part of the changes are meant to make it easier for both the students we have now and for incoming students to understand what we do,” said Andrew Rose, assistant to the principals at the College.

“The courses are also open to students who want to take them as electives,” Rose explained, adding, “It’s an easier way for students to get an idea of the College.”

Founded in 2001, LIC strives to represent the arts and science tradition of the former Loyola College of Montreal, while at the same time motivating students to look towards the future.

Rose stated that its objective is to combine a number of students from a broad spectrum of academic disciplines, “with the aim of tackling contemporary global issues” in an intimate, community environment with fellow classmates and professors.

“The idea of communication in this sense is one where all those disciplines, languages and vocabularies can come together in a forum and communicate,” explained Rose. “In order to do that,” he continued, “you have to have this comfort level and openness that encourages that kind of communication.”

Throughout the course of their university studies, students who take courses at the College will become versed in their own specialization while at the same time imparting their perspectives and knowledge onto fellow students. The result is a different approach to discussing and confronting global matters.

Since its inception, LIC has offered a foundation year program and an international core program. Rose explained students will find it more appealing to have a minor appear on their transcript.

Rose said the College is hearing from interested students as a result of changes in the curriculum. In addition, because of increased development on the Loyola Campus.

He stated that “we’re foreseeing a bigger push in the fall” and that the program may especially appeal to out-of-province first years.

According to Rose, one of the many challenges faced by students is making decisions among a wide range of options. With about ten professors, smaller class sizes and a relaxed setting, the College offers students an advantage while coping with post-secondary pressures.

“An essential thing to coming into a university and being able to make those choices is being comfortable and supported,” said Rose.

On Feb. 5 in the Renaud Science Building, the College is presenting psychologist Michael Chandler who will discuss adolescent suicide.

For more information on Loyola International College and its upcoming speaker, visit its new web site at http://lic.concordia.ca