Local musicians not down for the count

Up and coming Montreal quintet Full Count, is something to watch out for in the coming months. Currently in pre-production for their first full-length album, which is scheduled to be released in early summer, the lead singer of this emo-punk band, David Rancourt, is not scared of how people are going to react.

“Some people will like us and some people won’t,” he blatantly stated. “Our goal is to make sure that the people who will like it, will be able to hear it.” He went on to explain that the band does not intend on pigeon-holing themselves in the same style of music.

The band began to take shape more than a year and a half ago, when Rancourt’s former group was winding down. He first started jamming with two other guys and slowly started to build a band and write some songs. “I usually try to do the two together; write a song on the acoustic guitar with lyrics,” Rancourt explained. The remainder of the five piece then add their own little touch.

Soon after they released their first EP, the band experienced several changes. Today, Rancourt is accompanied by Travis Barfoot and Rob Rousseau on guitar, Jordan Larocque on bass and Frank “Kickup” Lessard on drums. The band is currently shopping around for just the right label to sign on. Although a few interested labels have already approached them, Full Count is not in a hurry to commit to one. “We are trying to get the best deal possible,” Rancourt said.

“It just has to be the right feel.”

Having been influenced by bands like The Cure, The Smiths and Weezer, these young musicians want to make something that is good musically, lyrically and stylistically. Rancourt assures his fans that “the sound will have matured,” since their first EP and “[They] are not going to write the same songs [they] have already written.”

Winners of the recent CHOM L’esprit Contest, Full Count toured for a couple of weeks during the summer. Although they only played small gigs, Rancourt believes that it was a good way to get their feet wet. “It was amazing because we got to connect with some of the kids,” Rancourt explained. The band also played a small set on the local stage at last summer’s Vans Warped Tour in Montreal. According to them, it was a good way to get the name out. Thus far, Full Count has had the opportunity to share the stage with bands such as New Found Glory, Small Brown Bike and The Starting Line, just to name a few.

Having worked for different non-profit organizations, Rancourt believes it is important to put the band name on “certain causes or issues [they] care about.” They are devoted to playing for environmental or human rights causes some time in the future. “I think that music is beyond writing your own tunes and touring,” Rancourt stated. “You can use music to do a lot of positive things, and that is where I would like to take the band.”

When Full Count hit L’X this Saturday night, Rancourt promises a m