Rufus no longer a poser

When it comes to describing an artist’s music most critics do so by way of comparison. Problems arise however when that artist is Rufus Wainwright; there’s simply no one to compare him to.

What sets this Montreal native apart from other musicians is his unique combination of past and present.

While his lyrics are unmistakably modern his music evokes times of yore. For instance, on one of the tacks off of Want One, his latest studio project, Wainwright sings, “My Phone is on Vibrate for You” over a melody reminiscent of the nineteenth century romantics.

The album, released last September, is the first of two installments; Want Two is expected for release later this year.

Want One is an emotional and telling opus, written during the lowest point of Wainwright’s life.

He began creating in the fall of 2002 when, after years of drug and alcohol abuse, he finally overdosed and admitted himself to rehab.

In the end, Wainwright produced 30 songs, which combined make up both chapters of Want. Those that appear on Want One carry the weight, depth and maturity that one can only expect from someone who has been through hell and back.

Wainwright’s music is theatrical, imaginative and enchanting. He draws listeners in on every song, painting vivid images that seem to linger endlessly in the mind. The harmonies are executed with mathematical precision and each song is delicately crafted.

As the son of Canadian Pianist Kate McGarrigle, of the McGarrigle Sisters, and folk singer Loudon Wainwright III, Rufus seemed destined to become a musician.

Due to his parents’ early divorce, Wainwright was raised by his mother, whom he routinely followed on tour.

In the mid-90’s he ventured out on his own, singing in clubs along the Eastern Seaboard. Subsequently, he released his 1998 self-titled debut, Poses, his sophomore album followed three years later.

To the masses, Rufus Wainwright may not be a household name, but don’t underestimate his popularity.

Since his modest beginnings, Wainwright has managed to garner a considerable fan base that supports him wholeheartedly. Their devotion has allowed him to play to sold-out crowds across North America.

Some of his more famous contemporaries have also taken notice. Elton John, Alanis Morissette and John Mayer are just a few artists who have been quoted praising his work.

Still, don’t expect to hear him on the airwaves anytime soon. Despite his exceptional sound and unparalleled talent, Wainwright is far from being a commercial sensation.

So far his closest encounter with mainstream success falls under the “various artists” category.

In recent years Wainwright has appeared on a number of collaborations, including the motion picture soundtracks of I am Sam, Moulin Rouge, and Shrek.

Although it’s doubtful Wainwright will ever breakthrough into the pop scene one thing remains certain: he definitely deserves to.