Stingers give UQAM another beating

The Concordia Stingers basketball teams invaded the home of the lowly UQAM Citadins this past weekend as each team added another notch in their win column.

Fifth-year forward Jonathan Dresner Jonathan Dresner scored a career-high 30 points to lead the men’s team to a narrow 88-79 victory over the Citadins who are still winless this season.

After Concordia had built up a solid lead head coach John Dore turned to his bench to close out the game. That allowed UQAM to somehow slip back within striking distance before the game’s end. “I take the blame for not having the team as up for the game as they should have been,” Dore said. “We have to be more focused and intense.”

While the contest was never really in doubt it was the last game for the Stingers before heading to Laval this Friday to take on the #2 ranked Rouge et Or. Laval currently holds a 2-1 edge in the season series between the two teams and there will be a lot more at stake then just pride.

If the Stingers can win by 18 points or more they will likely finish the season in first place in Quebec, which would mean home-court advantage for the playoffs.

Women’s Basketball

The women’s basketball squad had a field day with the Citadins as they walked away with a 66-33 win in a game that was almost over before it began.

Captain Pascale Morin had 15 points to lead the Stingers and keep them within two points of Bishop’s who sit second in the province. However, the Stingers will be hard-pressed to maintain that pace when they face the 9-2 Laval Rouge et Or on Friday.