Band is one step away from ordinary

Montreal’s One Away may have only formed in 2003, but these young guns are a rising talent and should not to be taken lightly.

These five musicians of diverse musical backgrounds blend together to create a rich and completely melodic sound that is fresh and inviting.

They may be new to the scene but they are certainly making an impression. They beat out some of Montreal’s long-established talents to become the 2003 Montreal Indie Rock Champions in a competition held last August.

The members of One Away emerged from various different musical endeavors before coming together to form this unique band.

Although their biography reads like a soap opera, with some members having swapped bands the way daytime television characters swap partners, the result is a unity of undeniably strong forces.

The band’s diverse influences span the last 40 decades, citing musical inspiration from such bands such as U2, Pearl Jam, Our Lady Peace, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Stone Temple Pilots.

While One Away may draw inspiration from classic rock bands, the grunge era and modern alternative rock, the writing style of these musicians stands firmly on its own.

A sundry blend of 70’s, 80’s and 90’s sounds can be heard in One Away’s style, but their distinct sound makes it difficult to pinpoint exactly what comparative sound the group could be aligned with.

Vocalist Pat Rossi explained, “We don’t like to be categorized. We want the One Away sound to be distinct.”

They certainly are distinct, which makes any comparison a serious challenge.

Perhaps the best measurement of their recipe is to say that One Away is a crazy mingling of Styx, Extreme, Foreigner, early U2, Led Zeppelin and Dream Theater.

Regardless of their formula, One Away is one of the most melodically smooth bands as of late. They surpass the challenge of simply gaining attention and still manage to keep you wanting more.

When asked the obvious question, why the band selected One Away as their moniker, front man Pat revealed, “No matter how many goals one can achieve, he or she should never settle with what they have. It is in our human nature to want more out of life or out of anything we do.”

This stands true for their evolving musical style as well. As guitarist Rob Bisciglia claimed, “[The band members] all strongly believe in the constant possibility of growth [within] a person or persons.”

In remaining true to their self-declared philosophy, One Away intends to evolve and involve more fusion of inspiration as it comes along.

Rob lets us in by sharing, “We clearly see the evolution in our music. Not only in the technicality of the structure but mostly in the feel and maturity of the music.”

One Away is busy playing Montreal venues, preparing for their CD launch on March 18 at Le Swimming, and continually embracing their originality through a fusion of inspiration.

*********************

More info and pics are available on their newly re-vamped web site http://www.oneaway.ca. Be sure to check out this up and coming indie band to experience their flavour for yourself.