ConU coasts in win against UQAM

The UQAM Citadins got out to a blistering start against the Concordia Stinger’s men’s basketball team last Friday night as they opened up a quick 5-0 lead. But their dominance only lasted for a span of 90 seconds, as the Stingers predictably proved themselves to be the superior squad with a 21-5 run in retaliation on their way to a 89-70 win.

Despite the victory, Concordia was faced with the difficult task of looking for stronger efforts from the likes of Jamal Gallier and Chris Blackwood, to compensate for the hole left in the absence of Jonathan Dresner. A fifth-year veteran, Dresner was looking on pace to have a career season. That was before he broke his hand last week when the team was touring American schools. An injury like the one suffered by Dresner could stand to keep him out of action for the remainder of the season, but no definite time period has been confirmed.

Fortunately for Concordia, they were able to make it clear that they’re still deep enough to contend, if not completely outplay, most of the competition they will face this year.

Leading Concordia’s offence in the first half was Blackwood who racked up an impressive 18 points in the game, including a pair of three-pointers. “Everyone really has to step-up their game. I know me, personally, I play every game like it’s my last,” Blackwood said.

The trip south of the border also seemed to have its positive influences on Gallier, an 18-year-old rookie center, who looked uncomfortable and nervous in a couple games earlier this year. However, if Gallier was suffering from any nerves last weekend, he did a admirable job of hiding them. The Toronto native was a force on both ends against the Citadins, blocking two shots and chipping in nine points.

The combination of these major contributions and some careless plays by UQAM had Concordia holding a commanding 51-33 half-time lead.

The Stingers continued to control the tempo until midway through the second half, when the Citadins finally decided to show up and put up a fight. With some strong shooting from behind the arc, notably from Samuel Johnson and Francois Jolicoeur-Yelle, UQAM climbed back within reach and cut the lead to nine points. Trailing by a 74-65 margin, UQAM looked like they were going to force a thrilling finish, but it all came apart for the visitors on a single play.

After getting sent in on a breakaway, Jolicoeur-Yelle decided to get a little too flashy for his own good as he looked to bury an authoritative dunk. It’s safe to say that next time he’ll go for the lay-up. Not only did the dunk miss badly, but the Stingers would appropriately score seven unanswered points in about 15 seconds, to regain control of the game with an 83-55 lead.

One of the biggest efforts down the stretch came from Ben Sormonte, who hit a big three and also made the most acrobatic shot of the season with a no-look, back facing the hoop, one handed, shot-clock buzzer beating bank shot to put an exclamation point on the win and cap a 20-point night. Concordia’s Patrick Perrotte led all scorers with 22 points, and Phil Langlois was tops in assists with 12.

“Our basketball I.Q. is getting higher,” head coach John Dore explained after the game. “Our goal is to get better everytime we go out.”