Lady Stingers crack national ranks

The Concordia women’s basketball team split their two games this past weekend as they moved into the 10th spot in the national rankings.

Maria-Jose Raposo and the rest of the Lady Stingers got their weekend off to a strong start with their third straight win to start the season, edging the Bishop’s Gaiters 72-66. Concordia had a strong first half, where they outscored the Gaiters 37-27. That lead was able to stand-up despite Bishop’s best efforts to climb back in the second half, where they only managed to cut the lead down to six points.

The Gaiters’ best effort came from Anouk Boulanger, who had 32 points, including seven threes, accounting for half her team’s points.

Raposo led the Stingers with 20 points, including a 4-for-6 performance from the three-point arc and chipping in five rebounds. Graziella Charles also had another strong performance with 15 points and five boards of her own.

Unfortunately, the good fortune didn’t travel with Concordia to Quebec City the next day where the Stingers dropped a 56-46 decision to the Laval Rouge et Or, bringing their modest winning streak to an end. The match had added importance as it provided a preview of a potential provincial championship showdown.

The Stingers didn’t even manage to shoot 30 per cent in the game as they went a dismal 17-for-57 and only collected 17 first half points. Led by a stellar performance from Josee Lalonde, including 12 points and a game-high 13 rebounds, Laval held a comfortable nine point halftime lead.

Concordia kept pace with Laval in the second half but weren’t able to make up any ground as they suffered the defeat. The game did provide some positive numbers as Alison Neil went 3-for-4 on three pointers and finished tied with Charles for the team lead with nine points.

The teams met in last year’s provincial semi-finals where the Rouge et Or delivered the Stingers a sound beating. However, it’s worth noting that not once last season did Concordia lose to Laval by more than nine points.

The Lady Stingers next home game is this Friday, Nov. 19, where they will take on the UQAM Citadins at 8 p.m.