time OUT

I know there are those out there that think I’m getting a little too obsessed with this whole “Laval is an Evil Empire” business. But really, come on, after this weekend there is now irrefutable evidence that there is some sort of, I don’t know, curse.

The Rouge et Or beat us up on our own field on Saturday in the Shrine Bowl. It wasn’t as bad it sounds since most of the offence came in the final quarter of play. But now we’re going to have to face them in this weekend’s playoff match in Quebec City. A year ago I might have been optimistic heading into this match, since that’s what I try to do, stay positive. Unfortunately that’s not the case this season, as it seems predestined that we will have to suffer the wrath of the Red and Gold until next year, at least.

The women’s soccer team also had their season come to a close, despite a strong final weekend, as a result of Laval’s good fortune. The teams finished tied for the final playoff spot in their conference, but lost the tiebreaker as a result of a 3-0 defeat at the hands of the…(wait for it)…Rouge et Or. Not even one of the team’s best seasons in recent history was enough to dodge the curse.

Stepping away from my irrepressible infatuation with the horrors that Laval cause us on a weekly basis, it can’t be said that there wasn’t any uplifting news for the Stingers this week.

Our wrestling team was back in action and did some great things at the Concordia Invitational Tournament this past weekend. It’s just too bad that we don’t get to see more of them over the course of the year.

There was also a whole boat load of Concordia players from the football and rugby teams that recieved all-star recognition. Things could be a lot worse.