time OUT

There is so much great stuff to talk about this week in the world of Concordia sports, but before I get to that I have to make my final Vanier Cup rant of the year.

While I will never waiver on my belief that Laval is an Evil Empire, a question occured to me this weekend after the Rouge et Or claimed their second straight national title in an epic 7-1 victory. If Laval is Evil then what the heck do I make of the Saskatchewan Huskies who only managed to score one point against them last weekend. How do you only score one point in the biggest game of the year? I’m no offensive coordinator but maybe if the Huskies had gone with a more simple game plan, like yelling out “SCORE!” to get the message across to their players, they would have faired a bit better. All mocking aside, everyone should be encouraged to send Huskies quarterback Steve Bilan a muffin basket to make him feel better after throwing five interceptions and getting sacked twice…poor Steve.

Getting back to Loyola but sticking with the gridiron, there won’t be bigger news around Concordia athletics for at least a few months after Mickey Donovan and Troy Cunningham became the first Stingers to win major football awards since Paul Chesser did in 1993. Donovan took the President’s Trophy while Cunningham was awarded with the J.P. Metras Trophy. Uh…anyone else think we’re going to miss those guys next year when they graduate?

I defy anyone to keep from getting excited that both hockey teams and both basketball teams are now looking like sure post-season bets and will be strong contenders for provincial crowns if not more.

And in the spirit of the holidays, if I could ask for one thing (besides my own Stingers jersey)…Overtime in women’s hockey. Enjoy the break.