ConU cagers win on hardcourt

The Concordia Stingers Men’s Basketball team, ranked no. 5 in the nation, defeated the McGill Redmen 79-58 at Concordia Gym on Saturday. The win gives the Stingers a 7-1 record on the season, leaving them tied with Laval for first place in the standings.

MEN

The Concordia Stingers Men’s Basketball team, ranked no. 5 in the nation, defeated the McGill Redmen 79-58 at Concordia Gym on Saturday. The win gives the Stingers a 7-1 record on the season, leaving them tied with Laval for first place in the standings. The Stingers had an impressive 16-0 run in the first half, and had a commanding 40-22 lead at halftime.

The Stingers shot 50 per cent from the field, and the offence was well spread, with four players reaching double digits. Leading the way on offence for the Stingers were Phil Langlois and Jamal Gallier, each of whom tallied 16 points. Gallier had his best outing of the season, going eight-for-eight in field goals. Rastko Popovic had 13 points off the bench and Chris Blackwood added 11.

The Stingers also had nearly twice as many rebounds as the Redmen, 40-21. Benjamin Sormonte led the team with ten boards.

WOMEN

The Concordia women’s basketball team rebounded from a 70-42 Friday night loss to the Bishop’s Gaiters to defeat the McGill Martlets the next day at Loyola Gym in a 67-38 victory.

The Stingers came out firing and built an early 15-4 lead as co-captains M.J. Raposo and Pascale Morin both got off to strong starts, as McGill was unable to keep up with Concordia’s transition play over the first ten minutes. The Martlets would go on a modest run that brought them back within a few points of the Stingers.

Going into halftime Concordia held a 28-17 lead and they would only build from there. Raposo finished with a game-high 19 points, followed by 17 from Morin, as they outscored McGill 39-21 in the second half. Alisen Salusbury led the Martlets with 14 points and was the only player on the team to have more than two field goals.

0

Stingers win battle of Montreal

time OUT