ConU split games on court

The Concordia Stingers women’s basketball team split back-to-back games this weekend at home against the Laval Rouge et Or and on the road against the McGill Martlets. They fell to Laval 60-46 with captain Pascale Morin and Graziella Charles leading the way with 17 points, with Lavals Caroline D’amours leading her team with 17 points as well.

The team had a different result in the McGill game. At one point they had a lead of over 20 points early in the second half, only to see the Martlets, who shot only 34% for the game, close the gap to two points.

They promptly ended the McGill run with a three pointer to win the game 63-58. Concordia got big games from Graziella Charles, Maria-Jose Raposo and Emilie Ruel who scored 14, 15 and 12 points respectively. Pascale Morin also had a big game, scoring eight points, while adding seven rebounds and seven assists.

The third-ranked Concordia Stingers women’s hockey team extended their regular season unbeaten streak to ten, tying the Ottawa Gee-Gees 1-1 on Sunday.

After a scoreless first period where the Stingers were outshot 10-7, they fell behind midway through the second period when Ottawa’s Torill Thomas skated in on a breakaway and slid the puck past Cecilia Anderson. Concordia outshot the Gee-Gees 22-7 in the second period but failed to beat Gee-Gee goaltender Julie Lalonde.

The Lady Bees came storming out in the third, to the point where Ottawa head coach Shelley Coolidge called a time out to stop the Stingers momentum. The unbeaten streak was in danger of being snapped until Jodi Gosse scored a goal with six seconds left on the clock. Assists were given to Dominique Rancour and Leanne McPhee.

Goaltenders Lalonde and Anderson were hard to beat, making 37 and 26 saves respectively.