time OUT

After a monumentally important weekend, things are shaping up to be pretty exciting on three fronts for our university sports teams.

With the possible exception of their exhibition match against the Virginia State Cavaliers back in the fall, the Concordia men’s basketball team played their biggest home game of the season last Friday, when they hosted the Laval Rouge et Or. With a 79-73 victory against their arch-rivals, the Stingers not only reaffirmed that they are capable of making it to the nationals, but they also leapfrogged both Brock and Laval to take over third spot in the CIS rankings. The combination of Friday’s match and a 79-70 win against McGill on Saturday allowed the Stingers to make the jump. The team’s next game is on Saturday against the Bishop’s Gaiters and will provide a potential playoff preview.

The men’s hockey team continued to maintain a weak grasp on their hopes of winning the OUA Far East division by taking three of a possible four points last weekend. A 6-5 overtime loss at Three Rivers and a 7-2 spanking of the Ottawa Gee-Gees has the Stingers looking good for at least a second-place finish.

Both were key performances for the Stingers after losing to the Redmen at McGill the week before. The men will be hoping for the same fortune as the basketball team when they play host to UQTR this coming Sunday (2 p.m. @ Loyola).

Finally, while they are ahead of them in the CIS standings, the Concordia women’s hockey team still hasn’t managed to overcome the pesky Ottawa Gee-Gees. After barely squeaking out a 1-1 tie with Ottawa last weekend, Concordia now has one loss and three draws against them this season. Concordia is currently ranked third in the CIS.