time OUT

If it wasn’t enough that the Concordia men’s hockey team beat the UQTR Patriotes 5-2 last Sunday, the ease with which they disposed of their opponents should certainly give reason for some cautious celebration. The team’s third straight win has them on the verge of moving into a share of the top spot in the OUA Far East division.

In what has turned into by far the most competitive division in the CIS, it’s the only division where all teams hold winning records, the Stingers have finally chipped their way towards the top. Sitting only two points behind the seventh-ranked Patriotes, the Stingers are now looking worthy of a spot in the CIS top 10, which they are likely to crack if they defeat the McGill Redmen at the Corey Cup on Wednesday night (Feb. 9).

The men’s basketball team extended their winning streak to five games following an easy 74-52 victory over the Bishop’s Gaiters last weekend. With that win it seems that the third-ranked Stingers have finally exorcised their demons from last year when they were upset by the same Gaiters in the provincial semi-finals.

Over the course of their current streak Concordia has outscored the opposition by an average of 79-60, which has them in secure possession of first place in Quebec. While the Stingers are also likely to win their next three against inferior opponents (UQAM, McGill and Bishop’s), their next big tilt will take place at Concordia against the Laval Rouge et Or on Feb.19, which will likely prove to be a preview of the provincial championship.

Finally, the women’s hockey team will play what is arguably their biggest game of the year up to this point, when they host the Ottawa Gee-Gees on Sunday afternoon. Ottawa is the only division opponent that the Stingers haven’t beaten this year (one loss, three ties).

0

Super Bowl Preview

time OUT