time OUT

Since most of us are starting to get over our bitterness about the NHL lockout, hopefully, we’ll be willing to enjoy some of the great things happening at our own Ed Meagher Arena. Last weekend the Concordia women’s hockey team clinched first place in the Quebec conference by defeating the Ottawa Gee-Gees 4-2.

Since most of us are starting to get over our bitterness about the NHL lockout, hopefully, we’ll be willing to enjoy some of the great things happening at our own Ed Meagher Arena.

Last weekend the Concordia women’s hockey team clinched first place in the Quebec conference by defeating the Ottawa Gee-Gees 4-2. Not only did the win ensure a bye into the Quebec championship series, where they will play either Ottawa or McGill, but it also gave the Stingers their first win against the Gee-Gees since last season. The best stat of the game comes courtesy of fourth-year veteran Dominique Rancour, who extended her point-scoring streak to 11 games with a goal in Sunday’s game. The four-foot 11 inch forward has racked up 18 points in that span.

Although the men’s hockey team dropped their Corey Cup match against the McGill Redmen last Wednesday, there was a silver lining as the game drew about 1000 fans. It was the biggest crowd that Ed Meagher has seen in years.

The third-ranked men’s basketball team extended their winning streak to seven games last weekend, their longest since an eight-game streak last year, as they get set to take on the Laval Rouge et Or at Loyola this Saturday. After coming away with a bit of a scare in a 93-88 win over UQAM on Friday, where they nearly blew a 20-point lead, the Stingers will need to stay focused if they hope to avoid another early exit from the playoffs like last year. Smart money says this is the year they make it back to the nationals.

On a down note, the women’s basketball team lost to McGill for the first time in nine games with their last defeat against the Martlets on Feb. 8 2003. The 57-49 loss dropped the Stingers record to 3-4 since the break.

0

An inside look at the lockout

Non-Playable Character: The antidote to sequelitis