Concordia b-ballers honoured in Quebec all-star selections

In Brief

Six Concordia basketball players from the men and women’s teams were recognized by the Quebec basketball conference last Monday for their outstanding performances this season.

The highest recognition went to men’s captain Philippe Langlois, who was named the QSSF MVP and a first team all-star. The fifth-year veteran has had a strong season, leading the country in steals and has done a stellar job at running the offence.

This season’s performance has Langlois in good position to be named an all-Canadian for the first time in his career.

Pat Perrotte was also named a first team all-star for leading the Stingers in scoring and being one of the conference’s most dominant offensive players. It’s the third straight year that he has been named an all-star.

The final player from the men’s team to be given such recognition was Ben Sormonte from Montpellier, France, who was named to the second team.

Ratsko Popovic received the Quebec nomination for the Ken Shields Award, which is presented to the CIS basketball who best combines academics, athletics and community service. The Sarajevo native has a 3.75 GPA and volunteers at Sun Youth.

Rounding out honours bestowed to the men’s team was the QSSF Coach of the Year Award, which was presented to John Dore for coaching the Stingers to a 15-1 record, the best in the conference.

On the women’s side co-captains Pascale Morin and M.J. Raposo were once again named to the QSSF all-star team.

Morin was named a first team all-star for a season in which she has averaged 12 points-per-game and five rebounds-per-game. This is the third year that she has been named to the first team.

Raposo was named to the second team with 13 points-per-game, which was good enough for second in the province. She also averaged six rebounds and was one of Quebec’s top three-point shooters.

Both players are in the final year with the Stingers.