Listening Lounge

From First To Last

Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has A Body Count

Part of the new generation of bands who were recently signed on Epitaph. The band’s debut album showcases their musical range. From First To Last aren’t an average rock band and are definitely worth a listen.

-Melissa Hetu

Peter Gabriel

Security

The year was 1982, before every AOR chump added an African rhythm section to their horribly unemotional drivel, and Peter Gabriel was advancing music far passed the watering hole and examining the psyschosexual subconscious that reverts us to the state of animals.

Peter Gabriel synthesized his entire band and yet it still sounds more human than the latest “ballad” Q92 is over-exposing right now.

Roxy Music

For Your Pleasure

Roxy Music’s sophomore record perfectly epitomizes the New Money nightlife that Bryan Ferry may or may not have been involved in. For Your Pleasure is creative tension at its finest. Brian Eno and Bryan Ferry are at each other’s jugulars at they straddle the line from tight melodic structure to all out disco jamming. Bohemians need not apply.

-Erik Leijon

The Cure

Greatest Hits

This is my favorite album of all time. Every single song on the record is great. It’s one of those cds that you can listen to from start to finish without skipping any songs.

Although the band originally won our hearts with innovative music videos and monstrous vampire makeup, their music has held up better than most of their peers from the eighties.

-Melanie McDonald

U2

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

When I first heard the CD, I was a bit disappointed, but I realized that all the songs on the album just took some getting used to. U2’s newest effort isn’t their best, but it is better than some other people who are making music.

-Jared Book

K-OS

Joyful Rebellion

Heaven only knows why K-Os didn’t receive his due this year with the release of his brilliant second album “Joyful Rebellion”.

Although it probably has little to do with the fact he’s Canadian, K-Os was snubbed by the Grammys and various listings of the best albums of the year, most notably Rolling Stone.

However some listeners of Joyful Rebellion may be relieved that this gem hasn’t gained so much popularity that it will risk becoming mainstream and uncool. The album is a breath of fresh air and unique from a lot of the regurgitation to be found on most hip-hop shelves.

– Justin Way

Stay tuned for more wonderful suggestions from your infinitely cool editors here in the production room.