time OUT

Well, at least they made it an exciting finish. That was probably one of the more prevailing thoughts in the minds of Stinger fans after the men’s hockey team was eliminated from the playoffs by the Ottawa Gee-Gees last Sunday. However, it will be of little consolation to the players that they overcame a 2-0 deficit before losing in double overtime in a decisive third game.

Although it’s sad to see the men be the first team to drop out of the playoff picture, there will still be plenty of action for Stinger fans to get excited about over the next couple of weeks.

It won’t do the women’s basketball team much good to have to battle it out on the road for the remainder of their season. Although at the start of the year they looked like solid contenders for at least second place in the conference, a recent tailspin has them as underdogs going into their semi-final match against Bishop’s on Wednesday (Mar. 2). Nevertheless, for some players, this will be their last chance at a provincial title and they will likely bring their A-game against the Gaiters.

There’s no way expectations could be higher for the men’s basketball and women’s hockey teams. While the women already know they’ll be competing at the National Championships at McGill, the men have to continue their strong play if they want to be in Halifax come March 17. A good first step for them would be to utterly humiliate the Bishop’s Gaiters when they play at Concordia this Sunday in the provincial semis.

After losing to Bishop’s in the same round last year, Concordia will be looking for redemption and a final hurrah for the graduating. Among them will be provincial MVP Phil Langlois who has had a career season for the Maroon and Gold.