Concordia continues to struggle

Stingers head coach Kevin Figsby was hoping to come off the first four games of the season with a 2-2 record. After four games, the team’s record is 0-2-1-1. With a tie in Trois-Rivieres, and a disappointing loss in Ottawa, the Stingers came into last Wednesday night’s home opener against rival McGill with high hopes.

Stingers head coach Kevin Figsby was hoping to come off the first four games of the season with a 2-2 record. After four games, the team’s record is 0-2-1-1.

With a tie in Trois-Rivieres, and a disappointing loss in Ottawa, the Stingers came into last Wednesday night’s home opener against rival McGill with high hopes. Unfortunately, the Stingers offense came up short. For a team who’s strength is up front, getting only 12 shots away was a major disappointment. The Stingers weren’t even able to get on the board and lost 2-0.

With Ron Smith and Jonathan Gautier out of the lineup, having sustained minor injuries the previous Sunday at the match in Ottawa, the Stingers were definitely suffering without these two key parts of their team.

McGill’s David Urquhart opened the scoring at 2:32 with a power play goal after a roughing call to Stingers forward, Trevor Blanchard. Concordia was handed another penalty, and the Stingers had a good short handed chance. Despite the lack of offense the rest of the time, the penalty kill was strong, and kept the Redmen in check. Speaking of checks, Stingers veteran forward, Derek Legault, laid a thundering check on a McGill player behind the net. This move consequently cost Concordia another two minutes, and they were assessed another call before McGill finally got called for one of their own at 16:06 of the first. McGill would see another penalty, and a two minute bench minor for leaving the bench at 20 minutes.

The Stingers power play was squandered only 35 seconds into it when the ref doled out yet another penalty. The parade to the box wasn’t without musical accompaniment, the football team happily played their tribute to Stomp in the stands behind the McGill bench. McGill’s Benoit Lessard then flung himself at Stingers’ S

0

Stingers balance books and slapshots

DVD Releases