Major League predictions

ALDS Predictions Red Sox over White Sox in 5 Angels over Yankees in 4 Chicago White Sox 99-63, AL Central champion The last time the White Sox won the World Series was in 1917, the second longest streak without winning the World Series in the Majors (the Cubs have the longest).

ALDS Predictions
Red Sox over White Sox in 5
Angels over Yankees in 4

Chicago White Sox

99-63, AL Central champion

The last time the White Sox won the World Series was in 1917, the second longest streak without winning the World Series in the Majors (the Cubs have the longest). The White Sox have the best record in the American League. There are quite a few unsung heroes on manager Ozzie Guillen’s team. LF Scott Podsednik ranks second in AL in stolen bases with 59, pitching ace John Garland has 17 wins and the second-year closer Dustin Hermanson saved 34 games. However, only 1B Paul Konerko and catcher A.J. Pierzynski have played Major League playoff baseball before. But playoff baseball is all about pitching. Four of five starting pitchers won at least 10 games each: Jon Garland, Mark Buehrle, Jose Contreras and Freddy Garcia.

Boston Red Sox

95-67, AL Wild Card

It is the third year in a row that they clinch the wild card playoff spot. Manager Terry Francona has a very similar team to work with as last year’s. The only notable new faces are David Wells and Matt Clement in the starting rotation, and Edgar Renteria replacing Angels-bound Orlando Cabrera. AL MVP candidates David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez, captain Jason Varitek and Trot Nixon lead the best offense in the league. The Red Sox have the worst collective team ERA (4.74) among all the playoff teams. Their ace Curt Schilling, who has been staying on the DL for most of this year, ends the season with a not-Schilling-like ERA of 5.69. Closer Keith Foulke is not as reliable as last year. He was also bothered by injuries.

New York Yankees

95-67, AL East champion

Whether you like them or hate them, the Yankees are good. The Yankees have not won the World Series since 2000 against the New York Mets. Manager Joe Torre still has pitching rotation problems. They have only two quality starting pitchers, Randy Johnson and Mike Mussina. There is a question mark about who the rest of the starting pitchers will be. Will Torre start Jaret Wright, Shawn Chac

0

Stanley Cup glory for Canada

THINK globally