Putting your olfactory senses to use in the bedroom

LONDON (CUP) — The secret to steaming things up is inexpensive, doesn’t require a prescription, and comes straight from Mother Nature. It’s scent, and a growing body of scientific research shows that scent-producing pheromones play a key role in attracting sexual partners.

That’s right-the secret to a night of wild, uninhibited passion could lie in the pumpkin pie that you baked, or the vanilla candle you burn on the night table.

“Sexual drive is a very primitive drive,” explained Christine Richards, M.D., an instructor at Heaven Scent School of Aromatherapy in London. “Smell goes straight to the brain and if you’re smelling something you like, you can easily get aroused.”

The most commonly believed and studied claim is that women are attracted to a man’s sweat. But it is important-very important-for men to understand that keeping your dirty gym clothes in your car won’t turn you into every woman’s fantasy.

According to a study conducted by the Social Issues Research Centre (SIRC) entitled “The Smell Report,” there are two types of male pheromone. One is found to be a turn-on for most women, while the other is a guaranteed deterrent.

“Androstenol is the scent produced by fresh male sweat, and is attractive to females. [It’s] is produced by male sweat after exposure to oxygen, when it’s less fresh, and is perceived as highly unpleasant by females, except during ovulation, when their responses change from ‘negative’ to ‘neutral’,” according to Kate Fox, director of the SIRC and author of the study.

But all hope isn’t lost for you men out there who don’t feel at home on the field/court/rink. Aspiring gourmet chefs can also benefit from pheromones. Many scents of common foods and food combinations have been shown to increase sexual stimulation, including black licorice, cinnamon buns and a pumpkin pie/lavender combination.

In a study conducted by Dr. Alan Hirsch of the Chicago-based Smell and Taste Research Foundation, women reacted most feverishly to a scent combination of licorice and cucumber. They were least aroused by the smell of cherries and charcoal barbeque smoke.

What turned men off? According to Hirsch, men were least aroused by the scent of cranberries. So ladies, when you’re cooking Thanksgiving dinner this year, hold the cranberry sauce, but make extra pumpkin pie.

One key to remember for scent success is to use essential oils, not synthetic, chemically manufactured oils and fragrance, said to Richards. Only essential oils can produce physiological stimulation.

0

Stingers balance books and slapshots

DVD Releases