Stingers swept in final weekend

In Brief

The Stingers are not going into the playoffs the way they would like, but the playoffs are a new season for a reason.

Concordia lost five of their final six games of the regular season, including being swept in a double header against the conference-leading Ottawa Gee-Gees on Sunday. This dropped the Stingers to 7-9 and a third place ranking behind the Gee-Gees and the McGill Redbirds.

In the first game, the Stingers gave up a run in the fourth inning and two in the sixth inning after battling back to tie the game at 4-4 to fall to 7-4. Michael Pantin, who has been an ace for the Stingers took the loss to fall to 3-2 on the year. Pantin pitched 4.1 innings, giving up five runs, four of which were earned. Matt Chatterton and Edwin Archer finished off the game for the Stingers whose runs were driven in by Richard Kilgour, Jamieson Boulanger and Andrew Nagy, who drove in two.

Game two of the double-header was an extra-inning nail biter. The Stingers had a 7-5 lead going into the seventh inning. Among other things, a two-run homerun by Alex Monfette, pulled Ottawa ahead by three runs. Concordia scored in the bottom of the seventh to tie the game and force it into extra innings. There would be no more scoring until the tenth inning when three walks made the winning run easy for Ottawa to score, and they went on to win 9-8.

The playoffs are starting on Oct. 8 when Concordia plays McGill in a doubleheader at Pierre Elliot Trudeau Park. If the teams split the two games, a third will be played on Oct. 9 also at Trudeau Park. The winner of the Concordia-McGill series will face off against the winner of the series squaring first-place Ottawa against whoever the fourth-place team is – either John Abbott or Carleton.

The Stingers only win this week came against the Redbirds, a 5-1 win in the first game of their double header. The Stingers lost two to John Abbott and one to McGill in addition to the sweep by Ottawa.