Stingers win first home game of season

The Concordia Stingers won their first home game of the season on Sunday in a 2-0 win against the Sherbrooke Vert et Or. They jumped out of the gate, entering Sherbrooke territory with ease. Within the first few minutes Concordia players were firing shots at the net.

The Concordia Stingers won their first home game of the season on Sunday in a 2-0 win against the Sherbrooke Vert et Or.

They jumped out of the gate, entering Sherbrooke territory with ease. Within the first few minutes Concordia players were firing shots at the net. The offense appeared to be in top form, highlighted by the aggressive play of Jason Quinn. Quinn showed he has some serious wheels as he chased down loose balls and caught his checks even when starting out behind.

By the middle of the half the play had evened out a bit with both teams making runs at the net. In the 22nd minute Sherbrooke got a superb shot off from in close. Antoine Moreau made a great diving save, this time using his long legs to keep the team in it. They had another big chance to break the game in the next minute, but Moreau came out to challenge with a slide check.

Then Brian Bourbonnais got the ball in close and rushed past a visiting defender. He fired it across the net to Quinn who tucked it into the net handily. The Stingers were up 1-0.

Sherbrooke responded with a few chances but they seemed uninspired. With 12 minutes left in the first half, a Stinger rush was broken up. There was a scramble in front of the Vert-et-Or net and somehow Alessandro Addesa ended up with the ball. He shot it in easily from the side of the net to make it 2-0 Stingers.

Sherbrooke had its best chance to get back in the game with six minutes remaining in the first. Moreau made the save but the ball bounced crazily away from him. Time seemed to slow as the Vert-et-Or players jumped for the loose ball. Moreau regained his composure and lept forward on the rebounding ball. The day was saved.

It was around that time that the rain started to come down heavy. That slowed the pace of the game considerably. Although both teams stuck it out in the second half, no goals were scored.

Coach Pavlicik seemed pleased. “They had the desire to win out there. They showed excellent team spirit, and anticipation helped them win those battles.” He rushed off to the locker room, perhaps eager to avoid questions about an ineligibility issue that could cost the team four points. Because of the lost points the team will need to will all of its remaining games to ensure a playoff berth.

The women’s soccer team had their worst weekend of the season losing both their games. A close 1-0 game to second-place McGill and a not-so-close 3-1 loss to the fifth-place Sherbrooke Vert et Or. They are now fourth in the conference four points behind third-place Laval and five points ahead of Sherbrooke. They play twice this week. At first-place Montreal on Friday and at home on Sunday Oct. 23 against UQTR at 2:00p.m.

The Concordia Stingers women’s hockey team played a non-conference game against the Queen’s Golden Gaels on Saturday and lost 1-0. “We did some better things offensively but we still have a long way to go and we have to start finishing around the net,” said Stingers head coach Les Lawton.

The Stingers play their next game Saturday Oct. 22 at the Ed Meagher Arena.

0

The true football pilgrimage

THINK globally