Student services roll out the red carpet

As Concordia’s various support services united in opening their doors this month, students are encouraged to discover the wealth of resources available on campus. On September 29, student services offered free coffee, doughnuts, candy, condoms and door prizes in an effort to get students to come in and take tours of the centre.

As Concordia’s various support services united in opening their doors this month, students are encouraged to discover the wealth of resources available on campus.

On September 29, student services offered free coffee, doughnuts, candy, condoms and door prizes in an effort to get students to come in and take tours of the centre. The centre gives students access to health care, as well as counselling, tutoring and peer support services.

Irene Petsopoulis, a counsellor who works for counselling and development, was offering tours.

“We’ve got nurses on staff here all day everyday, and doctors available by appointment,” Petsopoulis said. “Of course if someone’s really not feeling well, we encourage them to come in.”

The Student Success Resource Centre is staffed by upper year students from each faculty who are available to students on a drop in basis.

“We want to have somewhere for people to connect with answers in one place so they don’t have to be running around looking for them,” she said.

According to Petsopoulis, the students who work at the centre “are actually going through the process as well, and can help get you through some of the red tape from a student perspective.”

Career Placement Services is staffed by career advisors who can help students with anything job related.

“We recommend that students from all years come in to learn about careers, how to get experience and network, and get a head start, so that when graduation rolls around they’re not feeling lost,” Petsopoulis advised.

Counselors and psychologists are also available to help students with any problems or concerns they may have. While there’s no limit on career counselling, there is a limit of ten sessions for counselling that deals with personal concerns.

Peer tutoring is also available by appointment for help with writing papers and math problems. In addition to this, math tutoring groups are offered throughout the week.

In Petsopoulis’ view, the best part of all these services is “they’re covered by student fees so they’re free of charge”.

The centre is open Monday to Friday, 9-5. Visit them at the Loyola campus in the AD building, at 7141 Sherbrooke W. Rm. 103 or at the SGW campus in the Hall building at 1455 De Maisonneuve W Rm. 440. Information is also available on the web at supportservices.concordia.ca, or by phone at 848-2424 ext. 3536 or 3545.

0

Major League predictions

THINK globally