This week in Stingers athletics

The Concordia women’s soccer team got goals from Jennifer Scott and co-captain Erica Geertsen and great goaltending from Diane Ouimet en route to a history-making 2-1 win over the Universite de Laval Rouge et Or. It was the first time since the Rouge et Or started their program in 1995 that the Stingers won, starting the rivalry with a 0-21-1 mark.

The Concordia women’s soccer team got goals from Jennifer Scott and co-captain Erica Geertsen and great goaltending from Diane Ouimet en route to a history-making 2-1 win over the Universite de Laval Rouge et Or. It was the first time since the Rouge et Or started their program in 1995 that the Stingers won, starting the rivalry with a 0-21-1 mark. The Stingers got goals from Skye Moseley, Julie Pawlusiak, Melanie Poirier, Jennifer Scott and Stephanie Chacon in a 5-0 win Friday against Bishop’s.

The Stingers football team couldn’t continue the trend of beating Laval as they fell to the Rouge et Or 43-20 on Sunday. Otis Armstrong and Julius Adjei scored touchdowns for Concordia who fell to a tie for second place at 4-1 with the University of Montreal Carabins. The no.7 ranked Stingers will face off against the no.5 ranked Carabins on Oct. 15 at Concordia Field.

The Stingers men’s and women’s rugby teams were in action at Bishop’s this week. The women’s team won their first game of the season, 19-0 while the men lost 33-17. Both teams are in action on Wednesday. The women play Bishop’s in a rematch at 7p.m. at Concordia field while the men go to McGill to play the Redmen in a game starting at 9p.m.

A quick mens hockey update: The Stingers won their exhibition game Friday in Trois-Rivieres against the defending conference champion UQTR Patriotes, 7-5. They were leading going into the third by a score of 7-3. The Stingers were without the services of three-year veteran defenceman, Trevor Hawkins, on Friday night. Hawkins, who is out with a knee injury, said he is day to day, and that he was not playing Friday due to “precautionary reasons.” Another gaping hole on the blueline is left in the wake of a vicious knee-on-knee hit top recruit, Phillipe Seguin, sustained in the game against Queens two weeks ago. Head coach, Kevin Figsby, said Seguin will be back with the team in three weeks.

There are still three more cuts to be made, and this is the hard part, as there are a lot of legitimate players out there. There are players who will be in the program next year, and the sixth-year coach wants those players to stay skating with the team as long as possible.

0

Stanley Cup glory for Canada

THINK globally