ISA hopes to get students connected with first networking event

Students, academia and industry professionals from Montreal’s Indian community will come together over wine and cheese next Saturday as the Indian Student’s Association (ISA) throws its first ever networking event. Bhupinderjit Singh, ISA president and event organizer, hopes to provide students and recent graduates with a chance to meet and interact with successful businesses.

Students, academia and industry professionals from Montreal’s Indian community will come together over wine and cheese next Saturday as the Indian Student’s Association (ISA) throws its first ever networking event.

Bhupinderjit Singh, ISA president and event organizer, hopes to provide students and recent graduates with a chance to meet and interact with successful businesses. With this, he wants to give students the possibility to make connections for finding employment.

Singh, who has only recently taken presidency of the ISA, hopes “that the [academic and industry professionals] who attend the event will serve as a kind of icon to Indian students.”

The ISA is a secular non-profit and non-political organization, whose aim is to help Indian students adjust to life in Canada. The association also tries to increase awareness of Indian culture through sponsorship of cultural events and Indian festivals.

In keeping with this mandate, the networking portion of the November 12 event will be followed by an Eid and Diwali show.

Diwali is the festival of lights that ushers in the New Year for Hindus. Eid or Id al-Fitr is the festival that marks the end of the month long Ramadan fast for Muslims.

This year the holidays occurred within days of each other, on November 1 and November 3 respectively. Singh feels the significance of the two occurring so close is worth a little extra celebration.

“Diwali and Eid coming together is fortunate for all Indians.this event will be a kind of double celebration,” said Singh

A traditional Indian supper will follow the Eid and Diwali show, with six items on the menu.

While the networking part of the night is aimed at Indian students, Singh reassured that “all are welcome to attend both events.”

He added that in light of the recent earthquakes in South Asia, “[The ISA] will be donating any profits raised from this event to the Red Cross.”

The event will take place Saturday, November 12. Tickets are $6 for students and $8 for non-students and will be available on the second floor of the Hall building on November 7,10, and 11.

For more information, visit the ISA’s website at www.indian.concordia.ca, or call 848-2424 Ext. 3540.

0

University of Moncton returns to ice

Tech Talk