By the Book

Well, another year has come and gone for the Theresa Humes Tournament. 30 hours of hockey action in three days, and I was at the Ed Meagher arena for all of it. I’ll be honest, not all of the games gave me the emotions and excitement that Concordia’s three games did, but several came close. Namely Dawson’s 8-2 win over McGill and 7-5 win over Queen’s, in which the Dawson supporters were as loud as any Concordia crowd. Laurier’s 2-1 marathon win in the final was edge-of-your-seat the entire game, especially the extra 40 minutes. But games like Laurier’s wins over Carleton and Dawson and Ottawa’s win over Carleton were over in the first period.

The fact that this tournament holds overtime while the CIS does not use overtime for the regular season tells me that it should be in the CIS rule-book as soon as possible. Do the people at the CIS think that they can’t play longer than 60 minutes because they’re women? That’s a possibility, because the men play overtime in the regular season. Just food for thought, because the three overtime games this weekend were well-deserved. I can’t imagine seeing Concordia score three goals in the final eight minutes to tie the game and then have it end like that. At least have five or ten minutes of overtime.

Most games were very competitive, however, and the tournament provided all the teams with a good preparation for the second half of their respective regular seasons. Laurier, ranked number one in Canada, is good but not unbeatable, and it gives all of the teams in the CIS hope that on the right day, at the National championship in Antigonish, N.S. they can defeat the Golden Hawks.

And if you think watching 30 hours of hockey over three days is intense, imagine the events staff at Concordia who worked well before the opening faceoff and well past the final buzzer without missing a beat.

**

Anderson an Olympian

Concordia’s women’s hockey team goaltender Cecilia Anderson was named to the Swedish Olympic team for the upcoming Winter Games in Torino, Italy, which start in February. Anderson is already practicing with the team and has left the Stingers but backup Meggy Hatin-Leveillee was spectacular in the Theresa Humes tournament. She has been improving in every game she plays, and is keeping the Stingers a contender in Canada. Anderson is the first active Stinger to take part in the Olympic Games. Several athletes have represented their country after attending Concordia. Cammi Granato and Karen Bye represented the United States after they left Concordia, as well as Caroline Ouellette who was named to Canada’s roster but now plays for Minnesota-Duluth University in the NCAA.

**

Reebok a success as well

A tournament that might have just flown under the radar due to it being held before classes bagin again was the annual Concordia-Reebok women’s basketball tournament. The tournament, won by the Alberta Pandas, also featured the number-one ranked Simon Fraser Clan, Memorial University, Guelph, UQAM, Bishop’s, Carleton and Concordia. The Stingers finished 5th in the tournament, beating UQAM and Bishop’s after losing their opener to Carleton.

**

Let’s Get Physical no more

You may notice Let’s Get Physical is missing from this week’s newspaper. That is because Megan Breckenridge has decided not to continue it. I would like to thank Megan for her contributions through her column in the past year.

**

Canada World Junior champions

I told you that I would be watching, and I was as Canada won their second straight World Junior Hockey Championship in Vancouver last week. The Canadian’s used a total team effort in their win, and coach Brent Sutter has not lost a game as head coach of the Canadian team. It is an unbelievable story, and next year they will have a very, very good chance to make it a third in a row next year.