Conservative win could mean end to Kyoto for Canada

The upcoming federal election could impede Canada’s efforts to implement the Kyoto Protocol throughout the world, said Environment Minister Stephane Dion at a speech at Concordia on Thursday evening.

“I want Canadians to know what is at stake,” said Dion.

Dion expressed concern that a Conservative win in next week’s federal election could hinder advances made by Canada thus far.

Conservative leader Stephen Harper has voiced his opposition to Kyoto and would perhaps put Canada amongst those countries that refuse to participate. With a conservative win, Canada could join the United States and Australia, two countries that have chosen not to join the accord on the basis that it would harm their economies.

Dion believes it is important to implement the Kyoto Protocol.

“climate change is the worst ecological threat to humanity,” Dion said.

A majority of scientists recognize climate change as a dangerous threat to humanity. For example, if the Gulf Stream is misbalanced from the effects of global warming, Europe could experience freezing temperatures.”

Dion has been lobbying to pass the Kyoto Protocol at the Montreal and Buenos Aires Conferences on Climate Change. His efforts have yet to produce any results.

Dion added that industrialized nations must bear the responsibility of reducing greenhouse gas emissions since they have the technology to do so. The issue has split the countries of the world into three camps: underdeveloped nations who lack political leverage to influence decision making, developed nations who accept the proposals, and developed nations such as the U.S. who refuse to participate in the accord.

The United States’ main argument in refusing to participate in the accord is that implementing it would damage their economy. Dion said that it is essential to create an agreement that would reduce emissions while leaving the economy unharmed.

Dion also said that the rest of the world looks up to Canada when it comes to climate change. Canada helped organize and chair the conferences in Montreal and Buenos Aires. They will most likely chair the next conference in Nairobi, Kenya.

The rest of the world has been impressed by the Canadian plan which Dion presented as the three I’s. They are: implement the Kyoto Protocol, improve the Kyoto Protocol and innovate for the future.

Many critics of the Kyoto Protocol say it will not do enough to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Despite these critiques, reports have shown that the Kyoto Protocol is popular with over 90 per cent support amongst pollsters.

Some barriers to implementing the Protocol include that the industries most responsible for the greenhouse gas emissions represent 18 per cent of Canada’s Gross Domestic Product and 9 per cent of the United States’ GDP. “We are the only Kyoto country with a booming oil and gas industry,” Dion said.

Another critique of the Protocol is that there are too many difficulties in the convention to make it work properly. Dion said that the difficulties are not hidden in the accord. He added that the difficulties could be overcome if the nations of the world band together.

So far, in terms of greenhouse gas emissions, Canada is very far from Kyoto Protocol standards. Europe is also behind. European officials have said that once a target is established then the countries of the world must stick to it. Canada’s target is to reduce the emissions from two to three million tons per year, an achievement that could vastly improve air quality in Canada.

For more information on climate change check out unfccc.int.