Fun in the snow and civic responsibility

The Concordia Student Union (CSU) has planned a bit of everything for this year’s Winter Carnival. Events include an ice sculpture demonstration, a student Rally for Reinvestment, a Best-Snowman contest and a Concordia Idol competition. The CSU plans to keep you entertained and involved, but mixed in the schedule of fun is some serious civic business.

The CSU is doing all it can to urge students to fulfill their civic duty and exercise their vote for the upcoming federal election. Voter Information Tables will be set up around campuses from January 4 to 23, with pamphlets and information on how and where to vote. Students can also go to the Coalition of Student Voters website at studentvoter.ca for information on upcoming events.

The Winter Carnival featured ice sculptures last Monday of a tough-looking, albeit dwarfish, hockey player. The remains of Tuesday’s snowman competition are perhaps still standing out on the green space between de Maisonneuve Boulevard and Guy Street. Wednesday Concordia will showcase it’s Idols, with a night of Karaoke and fun at Reggie’s.

Communications, Film and Journalism students should be sure to attend “Get Your Work Out There” Friday January 13 from 1:30 – 5 p.m. at the De Seve Cinema. Students who submit material at the CSU offices will have the opportunity to meet key industry representatives from the Montreal broadcast and short film community. Speakers will include: Michelle Van Beusekom from the CBC TV, David Gutnick of the CBC Radio, Germaine Wong of the NFB and other industry representatives.

The Coalition of Student Voters has joined the CSU, Concordia’s Graduate Students Association, the Canadian Federation of Students (CFS), Quebec Component, the Quebec Federation of Students and the Student and Post-Graduate Student Societies of McGill in an effort to get students to take part and vote in the next federal election. CSU Communication VP Steven Rosenshein says “Our priority is that students get out and vote, because there’s strength in numbers.”

The CSU has already organized the Rally for Reinvestment, which took place on Monday, January 9th, outside the Radio-Canada studio during the televised debate between federal party leaders. The purpose of the rally was to bring the issue of post-secondary education reinvestment to the attention of the candidates and their parties.

“This federal election is quite unique in that we have an opportunity to bring education to the forefront of issues and raise Canada’s commitment to reinvesting in tomorrow through today’s youth,” said Mohamed Shuriye, CSU President. “One in five youth vote in federal elections. It’s a very disturbing statistic. Exercise your right!”

“Tuition fees and student debt have increased dramatically over the past decade. This federal election can be pivotal in either reversing or exacerbating this problem,” said George Soule, National Chairperson of the CFS. Concordia is one of 80 student associations that are members of the CFS. It’s the largest student lobby group in Canada with a membership of over half a million students.

For more information on voting, election events or the Winter Carnival events (Ski Trip! Hockey Nights!) visit the CSU office in Room H- 711, or on the website at www.csu.qc.ca.