Jordan Knight: Giving Montrealers a Fix

Jordan Knight. The name sounds strangely familiar and yet you can’t quite place it. Or maybe you just don’t want to admit you can. And that once, years ago, you knew it very, very well.

The former New Kids on the Block member is taking to the road solo, promoting his EP The Fix, out last October. For his “Canada Fix Tour 2006,” Knight is playing small venues, including Ronnie’s Bar in Pointe-Claire last Friday, February 3.

“It’s more fun when you can play the 1000 and under places: you can look the people in the eye, then there are certain nights when you take requests from the audience. A lot of people who’ve seen us have seen us in big stadium tours, so you can’t really get to know your audience in a big stadium. This way it’s more intimate, you can have more fun with them and hopefully you take away a whole new experience,” says Knight.

Currently working on his second full-length album due out this summer, these shows are meant to give the fans “a little fix [with] all the hits from the past and the hits off my last solo record [as well as] some the new ones,” Knight says.

“Basically it’s going to be a really great mix. Hopefully relive some memories and make some new ones. I’ve got a real good opener so it’s going to be a real solid show,” explains Knight.

It’s been six years since Knight has been in the country, but with “95 per cent of the venues selling and 5 per cent real close, it’s been real good. There’s a lot love of love here in Canada so it’s good to be out here performing,” Knight continues.

Knight is eager to thank the fans that’ve made him the 27th artist of all time to make the Billboard charts in three different decades.

“I don’t know if that makes me old or is a great compliment, but I really got to give it up to the fans who continue to buy music or request it on the radio and go to shows, or else I really wouldn’t be doing this now,” says Knight.

Inspired by the likes of Alicia Keys, Maroon 5 and Luther Vandross, Knight describes his music as “pop melodies, but with R’n’B and hip-hop beats. I’ll never shy away from pop. Pop is what I’ve been doing for the last 20 years of my life, the music that I enjoy.”

As for the inevitable New Kids questions? Knight says he doesn’t mind them. “Just as many people that hold those fond memories, I hold them just as fondly as they do. It was a great time for all the guys;, there’s no animosity between any of us. I talk to the guys still to this day. We’re all supportive of each other and what we’re all doing. I play some of the songs live. It’s part of who I am. It’s what made me Jordan Knight.”

And for those of you hoping to see NKOTB one last time, Knight says, “You know, it’s funny you should bring it up in Canada. We had the best productive meeting in Calgary a few days ago. Of course the other guys were on the phone, and we’re talking with a big huge promoter. The thing is that we’ve never not wanted to, it’s always been a timing thing. We’re trying to find that right time. We do want to give the fans one last chance to see the guys together [and] we want to do it too.”

As for when this reunion might be possible? “I think you’ll see it sooner [rather] than later,” Knight concludes.