Marlene Jennings: Canada’s next prime minister?

Marlene Jennings, the Liberal MP who called fellow member Randy White an idiot and once proposed Canada should “embarrass the hell out of the Americans,” by purchasing ads overseas scorning their bad business ethics during the softwood lumber dispute, is back for a fourth term in the NDG-Lachine riding.

During Parliamentary sessions, Jennings is one to make sharp remarks. However, in her riding, she’s the one to holler at. In fact, she encourages students to do so.

“I’d like to hear what the federal government can do to assist them,” Jennings said, “Not just while they’re studying, but also once they’ve obtained their diploma.”

Jennings, said she would continue to prioritize education, from childhood development to post-secondary education. She said that education has always ranked high on her list and that students can expect her to be a strong advocate for federal funding to both universities and students directly.

Jennings also spoke out on the decontamination of former industrial sites in Lachine, a major environmental concern in her riding. She explained the Liberals had committed millions of dollars to the Federation of Canadian Municipalities to fund the decontamination project, but that it’s now up to Mr. Harper and his new government to respect the deal.

In addition, she defended her party from what she said was unfair media portrayal during the sponsorship scandal. She says journalists failed to present the full picture.

“One small, $250 million program over five years; so you’re talking about $50 million a year. In a government budget of $187 billion a year? It puts a whole other complexion on it,” Jennings said.

“I also didn’t think it was fair when the opposition, for a year and a half said ‘Liberals are corrupt! Liberals are corrupt!’ and media reported it without saying, ‘wait a minute, Justice Gomery didn’t say Liberals are corrupt. What Justice Gomery said is that there was a small group of people who took advantage of lax administration by a public civil servant and a public civil servant participated in this scheme.”

When asked about her views on setting spending limits on campaigns, something the NDP advocates, Jennings said it would be worth looking into.

“We’ve already instituted the political financing bill which limits the amount that individuals can give to political parties, and the amount that corporations and trade unions can give,” she said. Jennings adding that the next logical step would be spending limits during a nomination campaign at a local riding and leadership level.

Addressing the problem of the under representation of women in Parliament, Jennings said getting more women elected would require an effort from both the parties and the government. Through the Elections Act, she suggested the government could provide financial subsidies to parties that run a certain percentage of female candidates. Additional subsidies would be given if the parties are successful in getting women elected. This way, parties would have incentives to not only actively look for potential female candidates but also have them run in winnable seats.

Turning to critics who say she spends too much time in Ottawa and not enough in the riding, Jennings scoffed.

“They are probably not very active in the riding themselves,” she retorted,

“Because those who are active in their riding say that I am one of the most present MP’s that they know of.”

Jennings said she attends community activities on a regular basis.

“I mean I can’t force myself on organizations. If they don’t want to invite me or if they don’t think to invite me, then I’m not there.”

“Anyone who wants an appointment to see me can get an appointment,” Jennings said, adding that most people are surprised that they’re usually able to see her within a week or two. She said students and professors should call or e-mail her riding office and she’d gladly come to visit their institution.

On new issues she plans to tackle, Jennings said she hopes to stir up a National discussion on raising the age of sexual consent, currently set at fourteen.

On the local level, she wants to hold a competition to rename the riding, which has recently been redrawn to include Dorval.

Jennings even disclosed whom she projects as the next leader of the Liberal party.

“Me,” Jennings laughed, “A lot of people tell me that I have a good understanding of what’s on the ground and that I stand for real democracy within the party. So I’m seriously thinking about it.”

Marlene Jennings can be reached by email at [email protected] or by phone at (514) 489-8703. Her riding office is located at 6332 Sherbrooke W. suite 204.