Valentine’s Day Cinematographic Treats

The Phantom of the Opera

The Broadway musical sensation has leapt between the stage and the big screen more times than one can count. Originally a horror story, the 2004 version decided to take another angle.

An opera starlet is caught in a rather unconventional love triangle with her childhood sweetheart and a disfigured man haunting the undergrounds of the opera. Herfascination with the angel of music, a man who only comes out shrouded in the shadow of the night, lures her into the darkest alleys as she walks into this waking dream.

-Bruno Lapointe

Blue Velvet

“She wore blue velvet / Bluer than velvet was the night.” With those opening lyrics, sung by Bobby Vinton , starts Blue Velvet. The film, released in 1986, written and directed by Lynch, is arguably one of the most disturbing films ever put on screen. But it is, at its core, a romance.

Velvet’s somewhat shaky plot centers on MacLachlan’s discovery of a world of crime concealed in his otherwise peaceful hometown with the great Hopper at its center. MacLachlan ultimately gets involved in a love triangle with all-American girl-next door Laura Dern and the night club singer that has been corrupted by Hopper’s sexual abuse, Isabella Rossellini.

-Walter Lyng

A Walk to Remember

I have to admit, I have seen this movie multiple times and it just gets better and better. You’d be hard pressed to find a movie as romantic as this one. (although another Nicholas Sparks novel, The Notebook, is right up there).

Mandy Moore’s first headlining acting gig was a huge success and went beyond expectations as a Reverend’s daughter. Shane West plays Landon Carter, your typical bad-boy turned good for the sake of a girl, and does it well. Peter Coyote, who plays Moore’s father in the movie, puts out an incredibly emotional performance.

-Jared Book

A Very Long Engagement

Jean-Pierre Jeunet’s A Very Long Engagement is a triumph on every level. Set against the striking backdrop of WWI France, this truly touching and authentic romance is an emotional experience owing much of its potency to the beautiful painterly images that delight every frame. The cinematographic accomplishment of this film should immediately silence any debate about film’s validation as true ‘art.’ The director re-unites with Amelie star Audrey Tautou on an ambitious project which dwarfs their last collaboration in scale.

-Noah Taylor

The Notebook

Get the Kleenex because you’ll need it for this ultimate story between a rich girl and a working class boy.

Based on the novel by Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook represents the passionate bond with your first love. Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling play Allie and Noah, two lovers who are constantly separated: first by parents, and then by WWII. When Noah returns from the war, Allie is already engaged to another man. They live apart for some time until one day she leaves her fianc