Ottawa jinx the low-point of ConU’s season

Grade: B

A week before the season was set to begin on the 19th of October, a season preview in the Concordian read the headline “Veteran squad poised for title.” Unfortunately, even with one of the best on-paper rosters in the league, the Stingers faced a lot of adversity this season, and didn’t quite finish as well as they had anticipated. However, as disciples of well-respected head coach Kevin Figsby, the boys handled every obstacle with class and dignity.

Top centreman Jonathan Gautier, who missed almost the entire season with different injury problems was a huge gap missing in the team especially to his line mate of seasons past, Yannick Noiseux. The two were arguably the best one-two punch in the league, and it was obvious that the Stingers were hurting without that offensive juggernaut up front.

The rookie class coming in this year were phenomenal, and really filled the shoes of the departed players. Phil Seguin, who missed a good chunk of the first half of the season with a knee injury sustained in a pre-season game against Queens, was able to come back in and dazzle fans with his play on the blue-line. With Andrew Davis and Pat Theriault gone from last year’s defence core, Seguin has proved that he will be a marquee player in this league.

With Jonathan Cayer’s sudden decision to leave his post as understudy to returning starting goaltender Pat Lepage, former third-stringer RJ James took up the position and put on a show in Germany proving his legitimacy as a worthy backup.

Returning veterans Joey D’Amico, Fred Faucher, Phil Lacasse, S