For Concordia’s Brassard, hockey is all in the family

Imagine having your younger brother and father drafted by NHL teams and being a hockey player yourself.

That’s how Concordia forward Janie Brassard feels. Her father, Pierre was drafted in the sixth round of the 1976 NHL Entry Draft by the Montreal Canadiens after two years with the Cornwall Royals. Her brother, Derick, is currently ranked the sixth best prospect in North America for the upcoming NHL Draft and plays for the Drummondville Voltigeurs in the QMJHL.

But Janie is a pretty good hockey player herself, scoring eight goals and adding four assists in 13 conference games for the Stingers finishing second in points. Her numbers were even more impressive when you factor in non-conference play where her 17 goals were more than double the points of her teammates.

Janie was a ringuette player until she was 15 and she got cut from the elite team. She switched to hockey and said the adjustment wasn’t hard, but there was one noticeable difference.

“I was in the penalty box less,” Brassard said with a laugh. “Hockey is a more physical game and I was a physical player in ringuette.”

Brassard would not be playing university hockey if it weren’t for last minute interest from Stingers head coach Les Lawton. Brassard had an apartment and was planning to go to the Universit