Life Without Cable

After being spoiled with satellite tv last year, I was not used to the fact that I would only be getting the minimum number of tv channels this time around. Despite a period of cable withdrawal, I have to admit – there is life after cable. With the new fall season under way in prime time television, one is bound to find something interesting to watch even without cable access. Here are some of the shows that non-cable subscribers can still enjoy:

The Amazing Race

(Sundays at 8 p.m. on CTV)

It is hard to believe this show is already in its 10th season. The Amazing Race is one of my personal favourite reality television shows.Hosted by Phil Keoghan, the show features teams of two with an existing relationship who embark on a race around the world.

The highlights of the show include watching captivating scenery from around the world, challenging tasks in “Roadblocks”, “Detours”, and “Fast Forwards”, and listening to teams squabble as the pressure to win rises. The first team to arrive at each pit stop wins a luxurious prize and whichever team manages to cross the finish line at the end of the race wins the million dollar prize. This season promises not to disappoint with the addition of new twists to the race.

Ghost Whisperer

(Fridays at 8 p.m. on CTV)

I actually started watching this show just because it was something new to watch. Jennifer Love Hewitt plays the role of Melinda Gordon, a character who has the gift of communication with spirits and aids them to move on to the afterlife.I am not sure if the special effects are supposed to be frightening because at times I find myself laughing. Melinda’s relationship with the spirits is meant to be heart-warming but sometimes it is a bit over the top. Other cast members include Camryn Manheim, David Conrad, and possibly the return of Aisha Tyler.

Dancing With The Stars

(Tuesdays at 8 p.m. on CTV; Result Show: Wednesdays at 8 p.m.)

This is actually the first season of the show I have watched. I had fairly low expectations of the show although I had heard that it had been fairly popular in the past. I just did not understand how people could enjoy watching a bunch of “stars” try to dance. However, I was proven wrong after watching the show. I was impressed to find there are several talented dance teams on the show and who actually appear to be working extremely hard to perfect their weekly dance routine. Also for those who have no previous knowledge of dance, it is certain you will learn something about the various styles of ballroom dancing. Of course, the judges who rate the performance of the teams are a bit distracting with their outspoken commentary but it is the teams that will catch your eye at the end of the day. The stars do not necessarily all excel at dancing but it is still entertaining to watch. On the weekly results show, the team with the lowest score is eliminated. In addition to the elimination round, musical guests perform along with the professional dancers.

ER

(Thursdays at 10 p.m. on CTV)

I used to be an avid ER watcher in the early seasons but slowly lost interest as the original cast members began leaving the show. The show was just never the same for me. So for many years, I did not watch it.However, I finally got back into the show over the summer and quickly submerged myself back into the drama of ER. This season shows Dr. Luca Kovac (played by Goran Visnjic) and Dr. Abby Lockhart (played by Maura Tierney) coping with the premature birth of their baby. The ER tries to go back to its normal state after the shooting incident from last season. John Stamos becomes a regular cast member as Tony Gates, a paramedic and medical student. Also, Sally Field and John Mahoney guest star this season.

Grey’s Anatomy

(Thursdays at 8 p.m. on CTV)

Grey’s Anatomy is certainly a heavy hitter of primetime television but I only started watching reruns over the summer. I must admit this show is addictive. This season, Meredith Grey (played by Ellen Pompeo), a surgical intern, has a bit of fun dating both Derek Shepherd (played by Patrick Dempsey), a married fellow surgeon, and a veterinarian, Finn Dandridge, (played by Chris O’Donnell). Isobel “Izzie” Stevens, (played by Katherine Hegl), has difficulty moving on after the loss of the love of her life, Denny, a former patient at the hospital. Christina Yang, another intern, (played by Sandra Oh), has obstacles of her own in her relationship with Dr. Preston Burke (played by Isaiah Washington). Meanwhile, The Chief, Dr. Richard Webber (played by James Pickens Jr.), has to deal with balancing his family life and his career at the hospital. Like previous seasons, the third season will certainly bring more drama and excitement to the OR on both a professional and personal level.