Native teen suicide

Mary Jane Hannaburg, 55, is all too familiar with the issue of native teen suicide. As an adolescent, Hannaburg was left to take on the responsibilities of an adult after her older siblings left the household to escape the alcoholism, dysfunction and poverty that plagued the community. The loss of a community member to suicide was a regular occurrence.

When Hannaburg found herself studying nursing at Dawson College and later completing a stage at The Douglas Hospital, she realized her calling. “I had empathy for the patients because of my background.in a weird way I guess I felt comfortable there.” Hannaburg would later feel even more comfortable in her position as counselor at the Native Mental Health Centre in Kanesatake, as the first native woman employed at the Centre.

As a counselor, she is assigned in large part to suicide intervention watches. She says the problem of substance abuse among native teens is just a symptom for deeper issues.

Between 1880 and 1990, in an effort to assimilate the aboriginal people, the Canadian Government placed many of the children in residential schools where poorly paid Catholic missionaries were responsible for educating them. For years, many of these children were subject to atrocious physical and sexual abuse.

On shannonthunderbird.com/residential_schools.htm, a web page dedicated to bringing these atrocities to light, the list of abuses of former students includes “needles pushed through tongues as punishment for speaking Indigenous languages, forced wearing of soiled underwear on the head or wet bed sheets on the body, faces rubbed in human excrement, hair ripped from heads,” and the list goes on.

According to Hannaburg, these horrors have unleashed a vicious cycle upon native families. Those who returned to their families after being schooled were traumatized and were unable to relate to their community because they experienced a loss of culture, identity and language.

“They lost a sense of who they were,” says Hannaburg. Speaking of the students who attended these schools, she says,

“These children had children and they were taught that [abuse] was the way to love and they in turn did this to their children. And now, because all of this is being exposed, their pain is right in their face and the shame leads many to commit suicide.”

As a result, many of today’s native youth are not equipped with the coping skills necessary to face the obstacles they encounter.

“Yes, they’re growing and becoming autonomous, but they still need love and guidance,” says Hannaburg, also adding that she believes that they must first develop a sense of self to gain self-esteem and strength.

“Suicide is a permanent answer to a temporary problem. Instead, surrender to reality and agree to work at it.” Hannaburg also believes in a holistic approach to healing, characterized by helping teens access their native traditions and customs. They also use storytelling as a means of self-expression.

In Hannaburg’s opinion, the government has failed the native community.

“They wanted to set up youth tribal councils for teens.they did it for a couple of years and then stopped funding [them].” The same goes for the creation of jobs. A project will be started, only to be pulled a few months later. “Basically,” says Hannaburg, “the government will say, ‘the well is dry, no more water for you’.”

For Hannaburg, the key to stopping native suicide is communication. This can be difficult however, since the community is reluctant to seek help.

“There are many trust issues involved,” she said. “The communities are small and people are afraid their secrets will be discussed at the lunch table.” The Native Health Centre, however takes many steps to monitor who is at risk of suicide. If a family member commits suicide, for example, the other members are also at risk.When it comes to teens specifically, many don’t want to talk about suicide because they fear it will reflect poorly upon their family.

“No one wants to wear that hat,” says Hannaburg of the touchy subject. She also thinks that youth are not getting the protection they need and that adults need to be more intrusive and insist on communication. Another problem is that native teens often isolate themselves within their peer groups. On the other hand, when they do know about a friend’s suicidal thoughts, they often won’t tell anyone. When this is the case, Hannaburg warns them, “Would you rather have a mad friend or a dead friend?”

Despite the hardships they have encountered, native teens display amazing resiliency and are determined to make a difference. The Aboriginal Youth Suicide Prevention Walk is a group of youth walkers and volunteers who aim to raise awareness about the tragic problem of native teen suicide by walking across Canada. “The walk is really great,” says Hannaburg.

“We’re losing people at an alarming rate. People aren’t comfortable talking about suicide and for something to change, awareness must be raised across the nation.”

For more information on the Youth Suicide Prevention Walk, visit www.theyouthsuicidepreventionwalk.com