Quebec’s acts are ready to face the music

Sunday marks the first M for Montreal showcase for Quebec artists ready to export their sound to the international market. During the event’s two days, 10 local acts get the chance to show off their stuff to U.K. and Northern European record industry notables.

Martin Elbourne, from the U.K.’s legendary Glastonbury festival, commissioned the showcase.

The lineup consists of The Besnard Lakes, Patrick Watson, DJ Champion, Galaxie 500, DJ Killa-Jewel, The Lovely Feathers, Taima, The Mission District, Plaster, and Ghislain Poirier. They have been selected on the basis of their “export readiness.” The Quebec government’s office in London is co-sponsoring the event with exactly that aspect in mind, simultaneously supplying European record executives and music journalists an opportunity to discover “the Montreal sound” while providing local musicians a chance to get noticed in markets they don’t usually reach.

The organizers hope this will be the first in a series of yearly showcases to coincide with another larger showcasing event south of the border. Those scoping out the artists are already on their way to New York City’s CMJ music marathon, where hundreds of bands will play over five days.

The first day of M is for Montreal is by invites only, but Monday’s events, including the concerts, are open to the public. The day starts off at 2 p.m., with a panel entitled “A run through the U.K. music business.” The panel is of limited capacity and by registration only.

The highlight will however be later on that same evening when the concerts kick off. All 10 acts will play at either the Green Room or Main Hall, conveniently located right next to each other.

Tickets are sold at the door only, and also of limited capacity.

For panel reservations contact Heloise Cote at: [email protected].

Visit www.mformontreal.com for more information and schedule.

Doors open at 8 p.m.
Green Room: 5386 St. Laurent Blvd
Main Hall: 5390 St. Laurent Blvd