23 Million STAND UP to Make Poverty History and set a Guinness World Record

Activists in over 80 countries gathered Oct 14-15 to take a stand against poverty. 23,542,614 people stood up in support of the Millenium Development Goals, urging world leaders to eradicate extreme poverty by 2015. United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan announced the final tally Oct.

Activists in over 80 countries gathered Oct 14-15 to take a stand against poverty. 23,542,614 people stood up in support of the Millenium Development Goals, urging world leaders to eradicate extreme poverty by 2015.

United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan announced the final tally Oct. 17 to mark the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty.

In Montreal, Concordia students organized the STAND/DEBOUT event at the base of Mt. Royal; they were joined by tam tammers and Engineers without Borders. Over 150 people stopped by to sign the petition.

“We’re a global society. We have the capacity to do it,” said organizer Clara Kwan. “The question is, ‘Is there the will?'”

0

THE BUZZ

Marshall's Law