Huge grant for JMSB will go to construction of new building

Concordia’s John Molson School of Business, ranked the number one MBA program in Canada, was awarded with a $60 million grant from the Quebec government and a $10 million contribution from Eric Molson and the Molson Coors Brewing Company. Quebec Minister of Education Jean-Marc Fournier announced the government’s contribution Monday morning at Concordia University.

Concordia’s John Molson School of Business, ranked the number one MBA program in Canada, was awarded with a $60 million grant from the Quebec government and a $10 million contribution from Eric Molson and the Molson Coors Brewing Company.

Quebec Minister of Education Jean-Marc Fournier announced the government’s contribution Monday morning at Concordia University. Fournier said that such a grant represents a milestone in getting the federal government more involved in the funding of post-secondary education in Quebec.

“We may have different jurisidictions, but we [Ottawa and Quebec] have the same mandates: prosperity for our citizens. We would like them [Ottawa] to be a partner with a major role to give prosperity to our society.”

Fournier said Quebec is not “begging for money for issues that aren’t important, but [to] build society.” The grant is a sound investment in Concordia’s business students.

Fournier said he also wants Quebec students to know that their government wants to take part in the funding of post-secondary education; “surely one of the greatest structural assets for the prosperity of Quebec.”

The money is earmarked for the construction of the long-awaited 15-story JMSB building, planned to accommodate more than 6,000 business students. It will offset about half of the school’s $118 million construction costs. The project is slated to begin next month and be completed by summer 2009. The large government grant also brings the issue of university students’ rising tuition costs back into the spotlight.

Last week, in a public discussion on Quebec’s future, framed by the questions raised by the manifesto Pour un Qu

0

THE BUZZ

Marshall's Law