Quebecois documentary resonates with hope and traditional Indian music

If you think teachers in North America have a hard time of it, wait until you watch Voices of Kalkeri.

The documentary follows the journey of Agathe Meurisse and Mathieu Fortier, two Quebecois travellers who leave their comfortable lives to open a music school in Kalkeri, India. Like other educators, they are overworked and underpaid, but perhaps unlike North American teachers, the film reveals they are appreciated.

Screened for the first time in English, the film was presented by Cinema Politica on Oct. 23 at Concordia, with filmmaker Francois Lemieux and editor Gabriel Gallant-Robert present.

Lemieux beautifully opens the film with footage of about 50 children brushing furiously away at their teeth. The children’s flexible moves during the daily morning yoga practice no doubt impress the audience, but the real stunner is without a doubt their voices.

In a country where the caste system still incites discrimination, the Kalkeri School for traditional Indian music offers children of all backgrounds the chance to learn together. Regardless of which village they’re from and what dialect they speak, the children all learn under the tradition of Gurukul, integrated into a lineage of disciples and masters. By teaching them their own Indian music, Meurisse and Fortier aimed to empower underprivileged children by developing their self-confidence.

The school doubles as a home to the students, and the teachers become a second family. Since most of their parents work in neighboring states, the school is the children’s only real shelter and source of food and clothing.

The teacher’s efforts are seemingly thwarted by a heartless landlord. “He’s spent his entire life reading books about spirituality, but when push comes to shove, he wants to evict us,” angrily shouts Fortier.

The pair’s difficulties leave them and their volunteers frustrated and discouraged, but thankfully, the neighboring villagers recognize the contribution of the team and rally to their cause. The elders form a coalition and travel to the city to plead their case to the landlord. When he refuses to sell the land, the village of Kalkeri shows its appreciation by donating land for a new school. Bigger and more beautiful, the new location proves to Fortier that “The trouble God sends has a plan behind it.” Currently, the school accommodates about 100 children.

Following the film, Lemieux explained that the school gets by with financial help from Quebec, with benefit concerts in Montreal and Quebec city. Young Musicians, the school’s sponsor, offers after-school classes.

Gallant-Robert explained the school’s purpose is to give the kids tools and skills in life. Lemieux added, “It’s to teach them a destiny other than the one their parents have known.”

“Globalization is quickly and enormously changing the face of India, he said, “but [Meurisse and Fortier] are trying to continue Indian culture.”

Go to www.cinemapolitica.org for the schedule of films screened weekly at Concordia. The soundtrack for Voices of Kalkeri is available in Renaud-Bray stores.