Sarah Slean: (A)live and kicking

There is no place like home! There is no place like home! In three clicks of her heels, Sarah Slean has returned (and not empty handed)!

Miss Slean has become a fine Canadian export, living abroad in Paris, France this past year promoting the European release of her second major label album, Day One. Before venturing overseas, the singer/songwriter began to orchestrate something precious to bring back to her fans: Orphan Music , her third recording with Warner.

Slean’s beginnings date back to 1997 when she released her independent debut Universe. The artist worked magic alongside singer /songwriter and producer Hawksley Workman for her first major label effort, delivering 2002’s enchanting Night Bugs, paving the start of a brilliant yellow road to success. In 2004 , Day One was released, spawning the hit single “Lucky Me”. Since then this over-achiever has drawn in two Juno Nominations, published a book of poetry, launched an art exhibition of her original paintings in Toronto’s Spin Gallery, and just this month, received her second Gemini Nomination for “Best Performance” in the film noir musical Black Widow. “I’d like to take acting classes and do some research before taking such a scary risk again,” the ambitious artist said, adding one more goal to her future plans.

Now with her homecoming, Slean is releasing Orphan Music, a live/studio album mostly recorded in December 2005, marking the end of her cross-Canadian tour. The album contains 15 crystal clear tracks, four of which are unreleased or b-sides from Slean’s indie beginnings. “You know what?” Slean teased playfully, “It’s pretty dark! Oh yes! It’s another dark one!” she grinned. Dark is as loyal a description as the title is to the album itself. The reasoning behind the title has all to do with Slean’s personal view of her live performances. In her eyes, her music is conjured up and released into the audience; it is at that moment the songs become little orphans, open for interpretation, appreciation and adoption. Orphan Music embodies the deepest essence of this singer/songwriter.

Captured within each live track is the artist’s solo performance; a theatrical, shadowy and heartfelt experience. Each tune is stripped of their accompaniments or radio-chum gloss and is left to lead with soaring soulful vocals, a grand piano and , occasionally, a string quartet. The cult classic “Weight” is revisited and turned inside-out in a studio recording. The heavy piano angst (think Tori Amos , early 90’s) is fully replaced with steady strings, conveying an eerie take to the song. So creepy that it’s fitting for a particular Hitchcock film. “Mary” is saved from the Improbable Pop Radio Mix that it became upon its radio release. The salvation of its origins (Solo Slean with those ivory keys) is captured here, leaving this sweet tear-jerker tightly tucked in your heart. The temperamental and irritated “Pilgrim” makes an appearance as well as an encore at the end of the album. “Pilgrim’s” first emergence honours the rock -flavoured rage of the original recording, fuelled with its strong, gut-wrenching vocals . “Pilgrim, whatcha lookin’ at me for!” she belts out. Don’t mess with this pretty lady, boys; little Miss Slean means business with this one! The second time around, the grand piano is accompanied by strings, only to further compliment this moody cabaret rendition fitting the album’s shadowy premise.

On a negative note, the album does lack something. But be assured, there is no disappointment in the sound quality, honesty, and especially not in Slean’s vocal deliverance. The sole grave regret is the missing in action, fan -favourite, “Sweet Ones”. It seems Slean decided to let most of Night Bugs crawl in the shadows of the sidelines here. Still, the intensity of each live recording and the demonstrations of the songstress’ vocal range wipe feelings of disappointment away in a downpour.

Orphan Music paints a portrait of what lays behind Slean’s music. “The pictures I see when I play [these songs] and the place I was when I wrote them was a terrifying place” and this album buys the tickets for that ride! As dark as these live urchins come across, Slean’s quirky humour and charming personality peers through the cracks between each tune; be it a comic relief of sorts. Light shines through the gloom in this orphanage. “It is immensely healing to play this dark music,” the songwriter divulged. Whether you believe in musical healing or not, Sarah Slean is live, very well and kicking it.

Orphan music is in stores now.,
Sarah Slean begins her Canadian tour later this fall.