Stingers split with Toronto teams

This past weekend the men’s hockey Stingers went 1-1. They beat Ryerson 12-3, and lost to University of Toronto 3-1. Head coach Kevin Figsby said he didn’t think he’d ever seen this team score 12 goals in a game, but that game cost the team because of a one-game suspension handed out to veteran power play forward, Mike Baslyk, and an injury to captain Trevor Hawkins, that will keep him out of action indefinitely.

Indirectly, Baslyk’s suspension came as a result of the hit on Hawkins that caused his injury. At 2:33 of the third period in Friday night’s game, Ryerson’s Kevin Day blatantly hit Hawkins from just inside the Ryerson blue line. Hawkins promptly left the game and did not return. Day was given a five minute major penalty for a hit from behind, and a game misconduct on the play. At this point, the Stingers were winning 6-2.

Not a minute later, Baslyk lost his helmet down in the far corner. University hockey rules state that in this case, the player must return to the bench. While on the way to the Concordia bench, a Ryerson player on the Rams bench hit Baslyk in the face. Pushing and shoving ensued, and Baslyk later related that he had no idea whom he pushed. Tempers were flaring as assistant captain Trevor Blanchard had one Ryerson player in his clutches. Rookie blue-liner, Jesse Goodsell was spouting four letter words, and Baslyk ended up with a five minute major for hitting from behind. The Ryerson player was given a minor penalty for interference from the bench and a game misconduct.

During the ensuing power play, Ryerson’s Stewart D’Eall scored an unassisted goal after the officials failed to stop play following a stop made by the Concordia goaltender, rookie Sheldon Baerg.

Concordia easily disposed of the Ryerson Rams, who had only dressed 14 players, including their two goalies, both of whom saw a lot of pucks come their way Friday evening. The Stingers outshot the Rams 24-5 in the second period, and 55-31 in total.

On a more positive note, Friday was a great night for the rookies on the team to shine; rookie Jason Beliveau scored his first hat trick, and added two assists. Rookie forward Brad Gager had 13 shots on net, defenseman Philippe Trahan was +4 and Christopher Oles had a goal and three assists.

Baerg made 28 saves Friday for his second career win.

Figsby was impressed with his rookies’ performances. Concordia has the most rookies out of any team in the league. “It was nice to give some of the rookies who hadn’t seen much ice against teams like Trois-Rivi