THE BUZZ

Athletes of the Week

Concordia named Audrey Doyon-Lessard and Trevor Blanchard as its women’s and men’s athletes of the week.

Doyon-Lessard is in her first year as a goaltender with the women’s hockey team. The Dawson College grad made her first home start on Friday night against the Carleton Ravens and made 40 saves. She came up big in overtime as well as the shootout, which the team lost 2-0.

For the second week in a row, the men’s athlete of the week award goes to the men’s hockey team’s Trevor Blanchard. ‘Blanch’ scored both goals in Concordia’s 2-1 overtime win over the Brock Badgers, including a short-handed marker to open the scoring. He has 10 goals and eight assists in 10 games this season, and currently sits ninth in CIS scoring.

Men’s hockey team splits weekend games

The men’s hockey team bounced back from a 3-2 loss against the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks to win 2-1 in overtime against the Brock Badgers. Concordia’s record now stands at 3-7-0, and their six points are fourth in the four-team OUA Far-East division. They trail division rival Ottawa by two points. They sit tied for fifth place in the Eastern conference of the OUA. The Stingers come back home for two games this weekend, against Guelph on Friday night and against York University on Saturday afternoon.

Let’s get ready for some basketball!

Both the men and women’s basketball teams get underway this week, but on the road. Both teams play their season opener against the Bishop’s Gaiters on Saturday with high expectations. The men’s team is looking for revenge from their early playoff exit from a year ago, while the women’s team is looking to key veterans and talented rookies to regain a spot in the playoffs. Both teams play their home opener on Nov. 24 against UQAM.