U-20 FIFA World Cup is on its way to the Big O

There were no red cards in sight, as representatives from FIFA and the Canadian Soccer Association met with the media last week to discuss the upcoming FIFA Under-20 World Cup.

“It is our collective hope and aspiration that this event becomes a tremendous success,” said Jack Warner, FIFA Vice-President and Chairman of the U-20 World Cup Organizing Committee.

The international tournament, second only in size to the World Cup, will take place in six cities across Canada this summer, including Montreal, and will showcase the best under-20 soccer talent in the world.

Warner was in Montreal to inspect the current conditions of the Olympic Stadium facility and of various practice pitches around the island. He traveled to all six Canadian host cities, Victoria, Burnaby, Edmonton, Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto, between Oct. 20 and 26.

“Nothing I have seen so far has given me cause for worry,” he said. “I want to commend the Canadian Soccer Association for the work they have done to date.”

So far, 350,000 tickets have been sold throughout Canada. This figure represents 65 per cent of the event’s projected attendance goal of 520,000. If this objective is reached, the U-20 World Cup would represent the largest single-sport event in Canadian history.

“We’re well on our way to meeting and exceeding that target of 520,000 tickets,” said Kevan

Pipe, the Canadian Soccer Association’s Chief Operating Officer.

Pipe explained that since the Olympic Stadium can accommodate close to 45,000 people, “one of the very, very best teams will be based here in Montreal.” In total, Montreal will host eight games, including six preliminary round matches, one round of 16 match, and one quarter-final match. The tournament final will take place at the newly constructed National Soccer Stadium in Toronto.

Interestingly, the Olympic Stadium will be the first venue in the U-20 World Cup’s history to showcase games on an artificial playing field.

Warner explained that the artificial playing field won’t negatively affect the quality of soccer, and that he didn’t foresee any problems with the facility.

“I want to ensure to the people of Montreal that this event shall be one of the best [they] have had in many years,” Warner said.

Warner also mentioned his “special love for [the Olympic Stadium].” Originally from Trinidad and Tobago, Warner’s countryman, Hasely Crawford, won the Olympic gold medal in the 100m sprint in 1976 at the ‘Big O,’ he explained.

“I intend to ask FIFA to let [Crawford] come to the quarterfinal on July 15 next year,” Warner said. “I think this would be a fitting tribute to this facility and also to his achievement.”

The Montreal organizing committee hopes to cater to 25,000 spectators, something that will take a special effort, Pipe explained.

“We think we’ve helped to put together a national marketing plan that will generate success for [Montreal],” Pipe said. This advertising scheme involves group ticket sales, as well as offering special rates to local Montreal soccer clubs.

Montreal tournament packages range from $50 to $150, and can be ordered online or by phone from Admission. “There’s still a lot of hard work to do, there’s no question,” he added.

Pipe estimated the tournament budget to be in excess of $30 million. “I can say with great pleasure that we are on target with all of our revenue streams,” he said.

CBC/Radio-Canada will be the official broadcasters for the event. In fact, CBC “won the bidding rights for the next eight years for all FIFA championships,” Pipe explained.

To date, seven teams have qualified for the tournament: host Canada and six European teams. The remaining 17 teams will be decided between now and the end of February.

The official draw is scheduled for March 3, 2007 in Toronto. It is at that time that game dates, locations and teams will be determined.

“We’re going to give FIFA the best ever FIFA U-20 World Cup that they’ve ever experienced,” Pipe said. “That’s our commitment to them, and we’re going to achieve that goal.”