Marshall’s Law

Last week as I was sitting in a packed cinema awaiting the start of the new James Bond movie, I was enjoying the great seat in the back row that I was fortunate enough to get. Four minutes before the previews (or should I say ads) started, a middle-aged couple looking for a place to sit spotted the two empty seats to my right. They seemed nice enough but soon proved to be the typical annoying cinema-goers. During the course of the movie, they each answered their cellphone more than once, tried to guess the characters’ dialogues, and proceeded with their very own director’s cut commentary. Lovely. Being shushed didn’t get them to act like civilized people, and excluding outright violence, what would have? These types of people generally do not respond to an appeal to reason.

This is but a recent example of something that I’ve been aware of for awhile. People seem to have forgotten how to act in a collective mass. Why is this? Are we so used to living in our bubbles that when faced with interacting with strangers, we forget all manners? I ask, at the risk of sounding like a kindergarten teacher, is basic politeness completely underrated in this day and age?

To actually experience human nature in all its glorious forms, one must work in the service industry. Working in such an area gives the chance for one to observe the best and worst side of human nature. I have seen everything from the sweet old lady who tips too much to the bitter man who thinks I control the weather. I do, actually, but I denied it at the time. It seems ridiculous, but basic politeness such as a simple “thank you” goes a long way. It sometimes can be the difference between me going out of my way to help you or doing the bare minimum to get you out of my hair.

This principle also works both ways. I am sure many have had the pleasure of dealing with irritated and basically rude employees. This experience doesn’t say much for the company these employees represent and only makes the client in turn pissed off. The cycle of life, as they say.

I could insert here a humorous anecdote about one of my experiences with lousy employees, but there are too many to choose from and I tend not to dwell on these things, because my brain needs the space to remember important things, like every episode title of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Another area where we get to interact with complete strangers on a daily basis is the wonderful world of public transportation. Oh, how I love trying to exit a metro wagon all the while being pushed back into said wagon by impatient strangers who just can’t wait to get on. I don’t see the point of rushing into a metro car. This is the STM, not a Disney World ride. Although you wouldn’t think there was a difference judging by the monthly pass price. But that’s a topic for another time.

I’m not here to emulate some Sesame Street or Passe-Partout character by pleading for “all of us little friends to get along.” I just think people could act decently when in a group. Now excuse me as I break into song about how I’d like to buy the world a Coke.